Looking for a VERY cheap, RELIABLE car to help someone out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
All,

Ok, I'm starting to poke around - this is for a friend of a friend.

She is elderly, and has a part time job that doesn't pay well. Her job, however, is 7 miles away, and she may no longer reliably be able to get a ride there soon. My friend tells me that she's a really nice lady, just had been hit with misfortune a lot, and perhaps some people around her who had taken advantage of her.

She does need the job, though.

Keep in mind as well, I've never met her - but I do know my friend wouldn't lie about it.

So, I'm starting to look for a car for her - I think the maximum she could manage is $600, and I'd actually like to keep it below that (title fees and registration, etc... title alone in NJ is $60 these days).

Now, I know more than the average person when it comes to looking at a car, but I do know that my knowledge of mechanics is limited. There are things I'll miss. But I'm going to try anyway.

If anyone is in my general area, or knows of vehicles in my general area, the qualifications are extremely basic for what she'd need.

1) Reliable - as long as it can consistently make the under-10-mile trip to work, and of course make it back home, EVERY time, it's good.
2) Cheap
3) Automatic
4) Must be able to pass NJ inspection/be driven legally (she can't take the risk of "driving dirty" as the expression goes)
5) Working heat. Even this might be optional depending... though I guess with our winters, heat to defrost the windows would be needed.

That's it. The vehicle can be ANYTHING from an econobox to a minivan to whatever. I'm perusing classified ads, of course, but hey, extra eyes, or any sort of "I know a guy who has..." etc would definitely help.

Thanks in advance. This is the first time I'm trying to help someone out like this, and I really don't want to steer them wrong, as they can't afford to lose the money they'd put into buying the car if it crapped out soon.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Re: Looking for a VERY cheap, RELIABLE car to help someone o

any wbody would be first on my list ( impala, grandprix,montecarlo, ect ). Built tough, cheap to fix, decent fuel economy. Used as fleet cars ( police, cabs, daily rentals ). Great crash rating & one of the least stolen cars make them cheaper to insure.

Known issues 3.4 / 3.1 :
-lower intake manifold gaskets ( look for coolant behind the serpentine belt where the intake meets the heads )
-transmission ( check the fluid to see if its burnt, or if in clunks into second gear )

Otherwise Crown Vic, Astrovan, Volvo 240, Nissan Sentra, Kia Rio are all worthwhile candidates. Any car under $1k is a crap shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor