LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRG53

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2011
Petal, MS
Re: New Project 81 Monte Build

What intrigues me the most about a frame off is that you will know every single bolt, nut, wire, everything as opposed to just swapping a motor, paint, and wheels. Very nice work.

Also, any chance of you putting an SS nose on this build? I'm just saying!

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

JRG53 said:
Also, any chance of you putting an SS nose on this build? I'm just saying!

The thought has crossed by mind but it all depends if i can find the entire SS nose and fender extensions for a reasonable price. I love the look of the regular nose on my 82 monte so I still cant decide :lol:

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

Got bored today and started scraping at the thick under coat on the frame. I was shocked to find so much clean unrusted metal there was under all the oily mess. Not only that, but it seems like 70% of the frame is like that and the rest is just mostly surface rust. The only spot, no suprise is the rear rails just behind the rear wheels but they arnt even that bad. should be easy to weld new ones from conrad on with the frame off. I still plan on sand blasting but theres too much snow outside to do it yet but does this ever make me want to get my daily driver undercoated yearly! :D

005-1.jpg

010.jpg

007-1.jpg

009.jpg

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

Picked up this 83 Grand Prix LJ For a parts car today ($150). Bought it because it came with a set of new rear rails to repair the frame however the kid who had it didnt have the patience and the car was to far gone. The front fame, floors, doors and trunk floor are rotten. Car came optioned with power windows, locks, A/C, and buckets/console (grey interior). should give me all the parts I need 8)

004-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

3 G-Bodys all in 1 room of the shop 81 monte, 83 grand prix Lj, and my cousins 78 Grand LeMans tucked in the corner :D
011.jpg

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

Cut the rear frame rails out of the Grand Prix today to replace my rotted ones on the monte. They grand prix had after market rails on it, most likely the ones Conrad makes. These rails are made out of a lot heavier steel than the stock ones :D

006-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

While im still waiting on snow to melt away from the barn/workshop doors so I can replace my rear frame rails, I figured I would try and box my stock lower contol arms. They turned out not bad for a first attempt and the best part is I saved money instead of buying aftermarket boxed ones :mrgreen:

006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

Blake442 said:
Did you weld the spacer for the sway bar bolts inside the control arm before you closed it up?

Yeah just remebered that before I put the first tacks in place. I ended up making my own out of some small pipe I had. At first I wasnt gonna bother because i figured it wouldnt collapse being boxed but I figued prolly a good idea.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada

OldBlue82 said:
Blake442 said:
Did you weld the spacer for the sway bar bolts inside the control arm before you closed it up?

Yeah just remebered that before I put the first tacks in place. I ended up making my own out of some small pipe I had. At first I wasnt gonna bother because i figured it wouldnt collapse being boxed but I figued prolly a good idea.

I know you were looking out for me Blake but just had to post this lol

27534_113674045333977_8496_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor