My fairly complete 3.8 to SBC 350 swap parts list!

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Yeah I know what ya mean, I'm pretty sure the block mount will work that I have. I'll probably just get solid frame mounts anyhow.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Unless it's a dedicated race car, I would just use the stockers. They are actually quite good and have a limiting feature built in by virtue of their design. If you will have 600 WHP or more you probably need the solid mounts. If not, they are aggravating to live with and offer no real benefit. I am a huge fan of stock parts wherever possible and try to build a fast car without the fast car compromises, mostly because they usually are not necessary for anything but at least a street-but-mostly-strip car. All that race ready crap gets old quick in a 12 second or slower car.

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
power steering hoses and fittings changed from old flared type to the new o ring type in 1980

79 and older are flare

80 and up are o ring

however you can simply swap the fitting in the back of the pump to use whichever style hose you need or have

if you junk any p/s pumps then pull and stash the fitting in the back of them

very good pieces to have, priceless, worth their weight in gold

pump setups for long water pump are 73-up trucks and 69 up cars

all sbc trucks were short water pump until '73 completely redesigned body style(from 67-72 CST era to 73-80 rounded line era)

so..

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

85Regal

n00b
Jun 26, 2009
Can i get the new engine mounts at a parts store? Is there a part # for that?

The previous owner of my car, swapped out te V6, and put in a SBC 350, but instead of using the V8 engine mounts they welded them in... :shock: :cry: LOL

Mar 31, 2010
Hey guys, hopefully somebody reads this and responds. Anyway i've been reading all the topics and posts about swapping a V6 to a SBC and all your information is great but i have a few questions. Heres what i'm Doing: Swapping in a 350 sbc with a th350 trans into my 84 cutlass v6. My questions are, do i have to change cross members? and i'm not totally sure what i'm going to need to do with the driveshaft, like shortin the stock one or switch it out all together. hope you guys can help. Thanks

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Matt84Cutlass said:
Hey guys, hopefully somebody reads this and responds. Anyway i've been reading all the topics and posts about swapping a V6 to a SBC and all your information is great but i have a few questions. Heres what i'm Doing: Swapping in a 350 sbc with a th350 trans into my 84 cutlass v6. My questions are, do i have to change cross members? and i'm not totally sure what i'm going to need to do with the driveshaft, like shortin the stock one or switch it out all together. hope you guys can help. Thanks

That will depend on what transmission you have in there now. If it's a 200 then you dont have to change anything. If it's a 200r4 then you will need a new crossmember. Either way you're driveshaft should be ok.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Re:

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I dunno, I'd have to see them. Proper frame side G body mounts are under $20 each if they don't work. The 4.3 mounts I have seen are not the same as a G body SBC V8 mount, especially the block side of the mounts.

20 bucks? from where? a junkyard?

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I dunno, I'd have to see them. Proper frame side G body mounts are under $20 each if they don't work. The 4.3 mounts I have seen are not the same as a G body SBC V8 mount, especially the block side of the mounts.

20 bucks? from where? a junkyard?

Try your local parts store. Autozone has a set (buy 2) for $16 part number 2292. Rockauto.com I think lists them for $5.00 a piece but they might have shipping charges. Look at the picture on the first post of this thread under mounts and imitate the way he has them on there.

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2485

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Matt84Cutlass said:

First thing you need is the motor mounts from autozone. Part number 2292 they are off a 87 monte carlo with the 5.0 motor (SS). Where did you get your motor from, or what did it come out of?

Mar 31, 2010
Respected_Cutlass said:
Matt84Cutlass said:

First thing you need is the motor mounts from autozone. Part number 2292 they are off a 87 monte carlo with the 5.0 motor (SS). Where did you get your motor from, or what did it come out of?

Yeah i have the mounts. Not sure what the motors out of but the block has a 3970010 casting number. i'm going to do a stock rebuild with a mild cam. And i have no idea in life where the trannys from i just know its a th350. i'm sure theres a another topic for this but, anyone have a suggestion on headers that work with the swap? im looking for long tube

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor