Need Info And Assistance On Cutlass Supreme Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2006
First of all, I am new here. I'm glad to know that this place exists because I'm sure I'll find it a valuable resource in the future.

When I was in high school, my parents purchased a new 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme for me for Christmas one year. I kept the car for a little over 10 years before I finally sold it. That car held many memories for me and I want to purchase another one very similar to restore. I need a little help in doing two things. One is clarifying what I had and the other is gaining an understanding of what else I may want on one that I may not have had originally.

To begin with, I need help with the colors. It was a very light brown color with a chocolate brown interior. The exterior color was sometimes called "champagne" by some people that saw it. I never knew the actual color name. Can someone help me with what the color name was in GM's book? Also, what was the interior color called?

The car had brown cloth bucket seats and had the gear selector in the console. The car also had wheels that I believe some call Rally Wheels. They were color matched to the car with some chrome trim accents. It had sporty-looking mirrors on both sides that were also color matched to the car.

In a nutshell, my main goal is to find another Olds Cutlass Supreme with the same color interior and exterior with the bucket seats, and the same wheels and mirrors. My original car didn't have T-Tops but I would love to have them. Was a T-Top equipped car offered in this color configuration?

I also remember that the front end of the Cutlasses changed just a little bit a few years after I got mine. I'm torn over whether to look for the same front end mine had or going with one with the newer front end. Any advice? Also, was this color even available when the front ends changed?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I really do have a desire to get another one of these with the right combination of what I had on my old one and what I always wanted on one. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
The colors were Light Briar Brown and Dark Briar Brown. From what I remember they were only on 1983 & 1984 models. Sorry can't remember the paint code #'s. I remember them being a very popular color combination. Used to do alot of them in the body shop.

Sep 18, 2006
The paint on my 1984 model dulled-out after five or six years. I don't know if the model I had used a base coat-clear coat paint process. I would probably want to repaint whatever I purchase with a good base coat-clear coat paint. There wouldn't be any problems doing that would there?

Also, seeing as though I would like to start out with one in the Lt. Briar Brown color, I may be restricted to trying to find one from the few short years that they were made in that color. Does anyone know if the newer front end can be installed on the older cars? If so, what is involved?

87GP, Thanks for your help.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the only problem with repainting the vehicle is that the original paint was laquer which I was told by a professional painter that the laquer paint has to be removed or the new paint won't bond. Being as lazy as I am and only putting a quick paint job so I could ge the car on the road I sanded the car down, primed and painted over with a single stage paint and it bonded with no problem. I even got hit in the rear corner panel and the paint that chipped off clear down to the metal so for me the paint bonded better to the old paint than the original paint.
As far as the front end I assume you only want to change the front clip for the european lights. That clip is interchangable with the older style clip. A good way of finding out if a part is interchangable ask your local scrap yard.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
He's tellin' ya a story to take your money! You can use BC/CC over lacquer, as long as the old paint is in good condition and not peeling or flaking, or cracking.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
87GP said:
He's tellin' ya a story to take your money! You can use BC/CC over lacquer, as long as the old paint is in good condition and not peeling or flaking, or cracking.

He's a good friend so I think he made an honest mistake. And like I mentioned the new paint bonded to the old paint even better than the original primer . I plan on repainting the car this winter with a 2 stage paint and take my time to do it. And thanks for the info..cheers

1979hurst

Apprentice
Sep 4, 2006
milford, Nebraska
i just would seal the old paint with a good sealer. that is what they are made for..
just my two cents... but i've worked on a body shop and know my way around these materials!
painted my whole car and i do body work for others and i always strip it if i question the condtion of the previous body work. and if you strip it you have a nicer paint job that won't shrink back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor