New engine but no fuel help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
Ok I've finally buttoned up my engine and i went to start it for the first time, it cranks over really nice but I'm getting no fuel when I look at the fuel filter in the line between the fuel pump and carb...this is my first time trying to start it since I swapped it in, this is my first time so I was wondering if and body had a list a possible reasons why this is happening so I can get this thing running, thx for help!!

Nov 4, 2012
well could be a fuel pump, a fuel sending unit, fuel lines hooked up wrong, or a bad fuel line. work your way back. drop the sending fuel line at the fuel pump and see if you have gas. if you do, then the pump is the problem, if you dont, then the problem is farther back. look underneath the car for dripping gas. does the car smell like gas anywhere? inspect the fuel lines and make sure they arent wet anywhere. if they are, then it needs a new fuel line, if not, then you can eliminate that as a possibility. do you have the lines hooked up wrong? try switching them around at the tank. the sending line and return lines should be on the passenger side, and the vapor line should be on the drivers side. if it isnt any of these, then it is probably the sending unit inside the tank.

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
Well I haven't ran new lines just used the old ones and moved it to the side the fuel pump is on hooked it up and the other line(canister side) is still left open not really sure what to do with it right now...someone told me it might just take a while for the fuel to get up there cuz the fuel ran back in the tank and its a manual fuel pump and takes awhile, I checked for fuel leaks there were none...I'm gonna put more gas and try again tomorrow when I get to the car

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
That is possible. Try filling the fuel bowl on the carb, a REALLY clean gear bottle oil container with the nozzle tip works great to fill it through the bent tube. That will get it running and after a few times running it off that you should have fuel pressure for sure. I know when my car sits I have to crank it a lot to get fuel back up to the carb.

Pbngem

Greasemonkey
Oct 17, 2010
An air leak between the suction side of the fuel pump & the fuel tank, is the most likely cause. Most likely a dried out deteriorated rubber line

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
What engine are you running?, if its a sbc there two bolt hole in the front of the block. If you look at the timing chain cover to the left more at the bottom of the block right above the oil pan there is two threaded holes top one I belive will hold the rod for the fuel pump and the bottom needs to have a bolt in it, I had the same problem when I built my small block years ago, no fuel! and my uncle figured it out. I don't know why that made any difference but sure as sh*t I put the bolt in to shut my uncle up and it fired right up! Good luck

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
I took a look at your pic of the motor and seen there is not a bolt in the lower hole.. 98% sure that's your problem!

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
jjonebadasscutlass said:
I took a look at your pic of the motor and seen there is not a bolt in the lower hole.. 98% sure that's your problem!
so I just need a bolt in the lower hole and im good, ok im gonna try it and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor