New Engine Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Welcome to 10 years ago guys :) If there was any more vortec stuff left laying around I am going to guess that its just got a boost in value.

Reactions: 1 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
You missed the entire point of the episode. They didn't film this because Vortec heads are a shocking discovery that Freiburger just made last month--quite the contrary. The reason they did it was because they still constantly get letters/emails/whatever from viewers/readers with stock SBC engines asking for ways to get more power on a low budget. If you're gonna make fun of anybody, those are the people you ought to target. ;)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a 355 SBC with those head with stock valves, the GM 12556307 roller cam, 1.5 roller rockers, edelbrock air gap intake and headman headers and it moves the GP along quit nicely for under $2,000.

"edit" forgot to mention the quadrajet to top it off....:)

Last edited:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I believe there are a lot of us running a very similar combo. Its cheap and it works. I wish I could get them to toss a qjet on there instead of a holley though :(
I think the video will help spread the word better. I read about this combo back when these motors ( and heads ) started turning up in the yards and rebuilders. Because that's how we would get our information ( think pre and early internet ) ... but that's not the way of the future.

Every so often I see someone standing by their car at the side of the highway. Obviously I can see they have a flat tire but instead of changing it appears that 90% of them have a phone in their hand. I always wonder if they are looking up "how to change a tire" videos on youtube ??

My thought is that there is a generation out there that will now "discover" how to make power today with nearly 20 year old parts because its on youtube.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I recently sold my Vortec headed 355... got $750 CDN for it. 3 times what I paid for my 4.8L LS (which has better flowing heads).

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
You missed the entire point of the episode. They didn't film this because Vortec heads are a shocking discovery that Freiburger just made last month--quite the contrary. The reason they did it was because they still constantly get letters/emails/whatever from viewers/readers with stock SBC engines asking for ways to get more power on a low budget. If you're gonna make fun of anybody, those are the people you ought to target. ;)

This is true, it really pains me. And you see it on Facebook more than anywhere else it seems. The small block Chevrolet has been in production for over 60 years now, and there is still so much misinformation out there, it really blows my mind. I understand there are beginners, but it seems they stumble over the infinite wealth of good knowledge to ask "how do I get more power out of my 305/307/350?" Magazines and more recently YouTube shows don't seem to make these kinds of videos for no reason. Unfortunately its because they are still getting these questions for some reason or another.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor