New guy - 88 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayoutthere007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2022
Found this site looking around at forums for a brake swap. My Uncle set me up with a nice 1980 Monte t-top back in the late 80's. Back with a white bucket interior, 229 v6?, metric 200 trans. I loved that car - have many great memories with friends driving around in it. Fast forward to early 2000's, I wanted to pick up a Monte and found a nice SS on eBay in Illinois. I bought it and my Uncle had it shipped to Maine for me (he's the BEST!) in 2007. I've had it ever since. It's a great daily driver and I've built memories with this car too driving around with my sons, singing (poorly) to 80's tunes on summer nights. I took out the 305 and put in a 350 w/Vortec heads, GM HOT cam, Flowtec headers, Pypes X-pipe exhaust, and a TransGo in the 200-4r. I drilled and tapped my 350 880 block for a roller setup and was running roller rockers until 1 came loose and broke apart, wiping out the lower end. I rebuilt it, again, and run regular rockers now. I enjoy it every time I drive it. My Uncle brought up a dash for me some time ago coming up from Florida (he really is the BEST!), and I put that in. Redid the interior, seat foam for the front seats, covers, etc. I was running Intrepid electric fans and a SPAL controller but it was flaky, so I've gone back to the (almost) stock clutch fan and fan shroud. I say almost because with the serpentine setup you need to get a reverse rotation fan and clutch from an F-body. Anyway, good to see this site and enjoy Gbodys with you guys. ~Kevin

Some pics.
80monte1.jpg

monteonlift.jpg

DSC02180s.jpg

P1010619s.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Welcome, I worked at Fisher Body No1 when that 88 was built. We used all left over parts from the 87 to build the 88s.

wayoutthere007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2022
Welcome, I worked at Fisher Body No1 when that 88 was built. We used all left over parts from the 87 to build the 88s.
Thank you. I've read that somewhere that all 88's were actually left-over 87's. Interesting tidbit about the last of the rear wheel drive Monte's.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Nice cars, I wouldn't give up on roller rockers just from that experience, either very low quality rockers or improper installation set up or clearance issues IMO

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, nice looking cars you have had. By chance is your uncle looking for any more nephews he might like to adopt? :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor