BUILD THREAD Project Diesel No More/Teen Dreams Realized

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I don't have the mechanical skills or garage space to do all my own work like many of the guys in the other build threads, so I will just have to share what I can before and after my car goes in to the professionals to get the major work completed.

The short backstory is my first car was a 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais, metallic brown/tan interior and landau top, with T-Tops. My first post on this forum has more of the details:

It was almost 5 years ago that I made that post. For 3 more years, I thought about getting another Cutlass, and looked for one occasionally, but other things kept taking priority. 2 daughters in college, etc. Finally, at the end of 2020, the "now or never" feeling finally took hold, and I ramped up my search efforts. I scoured on-line classifieds for months, joined the Oldsmobile Club of America, and sought out other resources. I looked at several cars that were "almost there" as far as combination of colors, options, condition and price. I had already determined that body and interior condition were more important than mechanical, as 1979 was peak malaise era and I wanted to do with this car what I had always dreamed of doing with my first Cutlass as a teenager - make it perform as good as it looks.

While I loved my first car, there were a few things about it that I wanted to be different. While the landau top was OK back then, I wanted the next one without vinyl on top. I liked the metallic brown on tan, but my high school girlfriend had gotten a white 81 Cutlass with burgundy interior, and I liked that interior color better, so I was hoping to find a 78-80 Cutlass with what I now know was called Carmine Red interior. One weekend last February/March, I was again checking Craig's List ads all over the US when I came upon a car that seemed too good to be true. A 79 Cutlass Calais with T-Tops, in one of the colors I always liked, Dark Carmine Metallic, no landau top, and with the interior I wanted - Carmine Red. It is even stripe delete, as was my first car.

It was hard to believe the condition and low miles - just under 40k. Oddly enough, the car was equipped with a 260 diesel, but again, that really didn't matter. Thankfully, the seller had not gotten Covid crazy with the price. I paid the asking price and had the car shipped to me. More details can be found in the following post I made right after acquiring the car last year:

So, since this is a build thread, here is the plan: LS engine (sorry to the purists and LS haters) LQ9 6.0 to be precise, with 4L80E transmission. And Holley Terminator FI ECM. These items have all been procured by the shop that will do the swap. Another fun fact, the shop doing this work is owned by one of my old buddies from my high school days. He actually used to borrow my first Cutlass to drive into Atlanta for classes when he was a dealership mechanic in the mid 1980s, because his car at the time, a 69 Mach 1 Mustang was set up for 1/4 mile drag racing and wasn't ideal for sustained highway driving. 35 years later, his shop is building my throwback/restomod Cutlass for me.

Additional hardware to swap includes the wheels - the 14" SSIIIs will be replaced by 17" x 8" front and 17" x 9" Year One chrome SSIIs. Tomorrow I am picking up an 8.5", 3.73 gear rear axle taken from an 84 Hurst Olds to replace the 7.5" 2.something that is currently in the car.

Some parts have been on order for a while, but we are told they should be in soon. I am hoping the car will go in for the swap this month.

Other than the 17" wheels, and maybe slight (1-2" max) lowering springs, I intend to leave the car stock in appearance. There are some storage dents and dings on the hood and front quarter and driver's door that will need to be touched up. The interior is about as close to perfect as a 1979 with 40k miles could be. There are a couple of small cigarette burns you have to look hard to find, presumably from the first owner. One hairline crack on the top of the dash instrument panel surround. Oddly, the chrome trim on the INSIDE of the driver's bucket seat was missing, but I've already got the replacement for that.

I've done a few small touch up things while I've been waiting for parts, which I will post with pictures later. For now, I'll just attach a few pictures of the starting point.
Cutlass front.jpg
Driver rear .jpg
Driver side.jpg
Interior.jpg
Passenger rear.jpg

Cutlass front.jpg
Driver rear .jpg
Driver side.jpg
Interior.jpg
Passenger rear.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 22 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Sorry about the double pics above. Not sure what I did there. Here is a pic of my original 79 Cutlass Calais, since it is no longer my avatar pic.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1490877754051~3.jpg
    FB_IMG_1490877754051~3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: 1 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Wow, nice car. Thanks for sharing. I think you’ll find the 3:73 Gears and that H/O rear end to be overkill. That 6.0 LS motor is going to smoke the tires in third gear. Be careful. My car is a handful on the street and needs a gear swap.
Thanks for the insight. The H/O rear end was really just an opportunity that presented itself. Our plan was to rebuild the existing 7.5" rear, which is presently a very dismal 2.something. The 8.5" from a H/O came up, and both my mechanic and I felt it would be a worthy upgrade to go along with the engine & HD transmission.. I know I will have to exercise restraint with the 3.73 gear. If I'd had a car with this much power 35 years ago, I probably wouldn't be here now, but since I am 35 years older, I'm optimistic I can modulate the right foot better.

Reactions: 3 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Small Task #1 - Because this car was coming from Minnesota, I was concerned about rust. The seller gave me lots of pics to assure me there was no body or frame rust, only some surface rust in a few spots not covered by undercoat. One area that had some significant surface rust was the radiator support and cover and support rods running from radiator surround to fenders. So, small task #1 was to take a wire wheel to those and get them painted. I soaked the bolts in rust remover and was surprised to find most of the bolts under the hood still had some GM blue color, so I repainted them. A simple job, but it needed to be done.

Radiator Support 1 before.jpg

Radiator Support After 1.jpg
Radiator Support After 2.jpg

Reactions: 12 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Sweet Cutlass, good find with those nice options. Look forward to seeing the build come along.

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Small task #2 - stereo upgrade.
When I got my first 79 Cutlass in 1984, the first thing I did was change out the stock stereo. At my current age, the stereo wasn't as big a priority, but when it became clear it would take a while to get my new to me 79 Cutlass in for the drivetrain swap, I started looking for stereo upgrades. The car had the factory 2 knob am/fm stereo and mediocre speakers (first pic). It looked appropriate - I did like the consistency of the look with the chrome finish knobs & buttons, but I've got lots of CDs and even some cassette tapes that are still functional, so I started looking for a unit that would play both, but I didn't want a modern light show or touch screen in the dash. I knew the trim bezels from the 1.5 DIN radios used in the mid-80s would fit, so I focused on the 1.5 DIN size. I found a new old stock unit that had both CD & tape players, and looks very similar to the style of radios in the 80s Cutlasses. I couldn't find a good matching trim bezel for a while. The first one I found was actually a Regal bezel, mostly black but with a burl wood strip all the way around. I had to modify the retainer tabs and used velcro to affix it. A few months later, an excellent condition Cutlass burl finish 1.5 DIN bezel showed up on Ebay, so I bought that. When I was out of work for Covid quarantine last summer I did the radio swap. Speakers are stock size, JBL in the front and Rockford Fosgate in the rear. The sound is a vast improvement, and I can play my old tapes & CDs.
00n0n_dfLCinn4e7Jz_0CI0sV_600x450.jpg

20220210_224539.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor