RAWDOGG - 84 Grand Prix "Pro Touring" Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Re: Surprise - A glimpse of what I've been upto!

Hmnn I have wrote about the ease, money saving, quiet & safe, advantages of the in-tank fuel pump on here a few times. Just told how I did it as its easier & cheaper with a gbody than a sump or cell. Naturally my GN has it factory but I also used it with the 509 powered carberated Cutty. Real quick http://www.racetronix.com click the Buick GN link for a near bolt in. Also ebay motors has vendors with new aftermarket GN/4.3 tbi Monte tanks & hangers. Some interesting info & photos about it at http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com

A noisy unreliable unsafe for a streetcar gravity fed out of tank electric pump is (unknown by most) obsolete and requires more work & money with sump or cell than an in-tank electric in a gbody regardless of whether you are using fuel injection or a carberator.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

dogshit said:
Hmnn I have wrote about the ease money saving quiet & safe advantages of the intank fuel pump on here a few times. Just told how I did it. Naturally I have it in my GN but also used it with the 509 powered Q-jet carberated Cutty. Real quick http://www.racetronix.com click the Buick GN link for a near bolt in. Also ebay motors has vendors with new aftermarket GN/4.3 tbi Monte tanks & hangers. Some interesting info & photos about it at http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com
Awesome info bro. Now I know where I'm getting my Walbro pump from. I knew someone would help me out. Damn. You rock bro! :D

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH

454Muscle. Cool car.
Its not really my style but I can really appreciate all the time and work you put into it. Ive read the thread and looked at your pics and your cardomain page. I dont want to sound like an *ss by saying its not my style. I have had some cars in the past that Ive done things too that are not other peoples style but it is what I wanted whatever. Its your car, not theirs, so do what you want.
My brother had an 84 Grand Prix that he had started to do some work to until some ******* plowed into his and totaled it. Its good to see another one (white too).

I like all the stuff you took from other cars to give it a truely unique look, Id have never thought of taking just the corners of bumpers from an S-10 and the wheel lips from a camaro to give you the custom look you have there, the interior looks really good, custom everything it looks like, but thats what its all about right? Have a vision and roll with it.

Again, Props for what you have done and I enjoy seeing your progress.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

stallings.sean said:
454Muscle. Cool car.
Its not really my style but I can really appreciate all the time and work you put into it. Ive read the thread and looked at your pics and your cardomain page. I dont want to sound like an *ss by saying its not my style. I have had some cars in the past that Ive done things too that are not other peoples style but it is what I wanted whatever. Its your car, not theirs, so do what you want.

Again, Props for what you have done and I enjoy seeing your progress.
:) Thanks for the appreciation

stallings.sean said:
I like all the stuff you took from other cars to give it a truely unique look, Id have never thought of taking just the corners of bumpers from an S-10 and the wheel lips from a camaro to give you the custom look you have there, the interior looks really good, custom everything it looks like, but thats what its all about right? Have a vision and roll with it.
Don't forget the GTO Judge spoiler, Mustang LX side skirts, Mustang GT side vents lol

stallings.sean said:
My brother had an 84 Grand Prix that he had started to do some work to until some ******* plowed into his and totaled it. Its good to see another one (white too).
Sounds very familiar. You mean like my first GP (below, 2002)?
6024910006_medium.jpg
<-- I was rear-ended by a drunk teen who totalled both my and his mom's car (then later denied he was drunk but got penalized because pictures and a breath test don't lie). The T-roofs popped off, he hit so hard. Totalled. 5 Grand Prixs and 8 years later, I'm on the home stretch to finally getting my addiction resolved so I can feel normal again... waiting for Spring now lol, so I can her out of storage and fix the fuel starvation problem and drive her for for a bit.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali

just checkin on you 454 i would always hit you up on cardomain from time to time but i havent been on that site to much for any longer then 5 mins. the ride still looks mean as hell. alright man stay up peace

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

Thanks Youngdeezy, I haven't been around much, been working at a factory to pay off some large debts. Been financially tough for the last several months, but this month I finally had some breathing room.

I plan to fix the fuel starvation problem in May. By June I'll have her dynod, tested and tuned, and will post some "playtime" videos here (0 - 60, some cruising, burnouts, etc). Can't wait!

Cheers bruh :friday:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

youngdeezy said:
is dyno time coming up soon? also check my new ride out its the ss build in my sig
Damn bro, I had no idea you were building another gbody. Been on and off here lately. Checking it out....... and it looks like you're putting a lotta time and thought into the build, awesome work!

Weather has been shitty too lately, cold, tons of rain. Only a couple warm days last week, and also this week was nice for the first time this year, we had some sunny days.

I just ordered from Summit:

1. Vacuum cannister and gauge
2. Gas tank sump by Competition Engineering

sum-g1464_m.jpg
sum-g3125_s.jpg
cee-4041_m.jpg

Fuel Issues/Starvation:
The tank sump should solve my fuel issues. I was getting AIR in the fuel line. Because my fuel gauge was "jumping" from 50 PSI down to 20 PSI and it would jump around there. It would eventually just stay at 20 PSI -- and couldn't move. So the tank sump *should* solve my gas problems.

Braking Power:
The vacuum cannister will give me just a little more braking power at stop lights, it wasn't essential, but would make me more comfortable and not worry about the engine stalling out. The gauge will be mounted just under my cowl hood so I will be able to see it from the inside.

Stalling Out/Running Rich/Plug Fouling:
Final problem with the car is that it would stall out, even after being warmed up. After it would stall, it would NOT want to start. Unless I disconnected fuel and cleared the cylinders of fuel right AWAY! I fouled the plugs once already, and a new set cost me $120. I can't afford that. To me, this just means it was running too rich. i don't want to mess with it too much or end up running too lean and burning up piston rings. So some careful fine tuning will be necessary here.

I'm hoping to get it dynoed and make sure all is running like it's supposed to in June. But I have had some problems with my daily driver that I have to dump money in, to get fixed. So I may be delayed a month or so. :cry:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

A proper GN type tank like you see on eBay motor would do the job better cheaper and easier than a sump. By far. In fact so much so that you would be better to return it and pay the re stocking fee. The problem you are having does not sound like air in the line to me it sounds like you have a return line that is too small or restricted some where.

On another note In tank pump setups on a g are simple cheap easy and safe especially when compared to an out of tank gravity fed electric with sump or cell. I'm just don't know how to better help educate the masses on it.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

dogshit said:
A proper GN type tank like you see on eBay motor would do the job better cheaper and easier than a sump. By far. In fact so much so that you would be better to return it and pay the re stocking fee. The problem you are having does not sound like air in the line to me it sounds like you have a return line that is too small or restricted some where.

On another note In tank pump setups on a g are simple cheap easy and safe especially when compared to an out of tank gravity fed electric with sump or cell. I'm just don't know how to better help educate the masses on it.
Thanks for the info and advice dogshit. I was trying to find the cheapest and most convenient/efficient route to take. The sump cost me $65.

My current setup, is stock tank and the stock fuel sending unit, the line comes out of the top of the tank and then goes down to the high volume 50PSI fuel pump. That's where I figured I got air in the line.

But I also considered the baffled MonteCarlo tbi tank and in-tank fuel pump option (walbro pump also 50psi) but they were expensive. Can you show me a link to what you suggested which would be cheaper over-all? I appreciate your help, really cuz I need to figure this sh*t out real fast.
:friday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor