RAWDOGG - 84 Grand Prix "Pro Touring" Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Re: Surprise - A glimpse of what I've been upto!

Do you have someone to put the sump in? Where I live I couldn't find anyone that wanted to weld on a used gas tank. I also bought the grand national tank and walbro pump for my 350 tpi setup. I thnk a 3rd gen camaro pump works also.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

Yeah my mechanic will wash it out and try to see if it lights up lol. Should be able to get it to a point where the sump can be welded in.

If you don't mind me asking crucial118, how much did you pay for your GN tank and walbro pump?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

crucial118 said:
Do you have someone to put the sump in? Where I live I couldn't find anyone that wanted to weld on a used gas tank. I also bought the grand national tank and walbro pump for my 350 tpi setup. I thnk a 3rd gen camaro pump works also.

fill the tank with sand, weld then clean it out

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

Pontiacgp, thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought of that, nice trick.

Question: Can't I just use the EFI fuel sending unit & pump combo in my stock tank? Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TBI-Fuel ... 48404b0d4f
$(KGrHqF,!hME2fMq5tsNBNwLvpLlqQ~~_3.JPG

:?: :?: :?:

P.S. I found a site selling brand new pump and hanger assembly as above, cheaper than that ebay item too, in stock.

also, what about this option? it includes a baffle as well!! :

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /prd84.htm
prd_sm_84.jpg

No Welding Required - Components just bolt together.

You assemble to the depth of your tank and install
All Metal Components are (Yellow Zinc Plated Steel)
Reservoir Tray Included
Supply Line
Return Line
Vent Opening
In-Tank Wiring Harness
Threaded In-Tank Mounting Ring
Heavy Gauge Mounting Plate
Adjustable Support Arm
Genuine Walbro Fuel Pumps are supplied

This would cost me about $225 and appears to be a bolt in to my stock tank.

Opinions ??? :?: :?:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Yes you can use/make work that old GN/MCtbi hanger/sending unit. But when your tank gets low on fuel your pump will uncover and starve on a hard curve. So if you get used from a salvage yard etc get both tank & sending unit/pump.

If you need a fuel tank AM Auto parts has brand new shinney baffled GN tanks for $127.25 with free shipping. http://WWW.motors.eBay.com/ has them for $129. Just search Grand National fuel tanks. If you want a brand new sending unit they have them for $49.

If you want a plug n play fuel pump & wiring http://WWW.racetronix.com has them just look under pumps Buick GN. The $97 Walbro pump will feed your beast up to 600hp reliably with proper voltage.

Your fuel injection system or fuel rail should have a fuel pressure regulator to adjust your fuel pressure. If you need return line Summit has a 25 foot roll 3/8" line for 18.95.

Your done safe quiet reliable just like a new Vette. For some good pics & info on it http://WWW.robertpowersmotorsports.com.

Edit. If you want to use this system with a carberator all you have to add is a return style fuel pressure regulator such as the Mallory 4309. I used this factory type set up with my 800 q-jet 509 powered 442.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali

454muscle said:
youngdeezy said:
is dyno time coming up soon? also check my new ride out its the ss build in my sig
Damn bro, I had no idea you were building another gbody. Been on and off here lately. Checking it out....... and it looks like you're putting a lotta time and thought into the build, awesome work!

Thanks but on the next 1 leave some feedback for your boy. Now onto your efi setup. what you should do is, do what dogshit said or what im telling you is use the stock tank if possible. on my efi setup on the cutty i used a 85 monte efi tank because it has the baffles inside with a walbro 255 pump and its perfect. if i were you i would do something like my setup and call it a day.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

youngdeezy said:
454muscle said:
youngdeezy said:
is dyno time coming up soon? also check my new ride out its the ss build in my sig
Damn bro, I had no idea you were building another gbody. Been on and off here lately. Checking it out....... and it looks like you're putting a lotta time and thought into the build, awesome work!

Thanks but on the next 1 leave some feedback for your boy. Now onto your efi setup. what you should do is, do what dogshit said or what im telling you is use the stock tank if possible. on my efi setup on the cutty i used a 85 monte efi tank because it has the baffles inside with a walbro 255 pump and its perfect. if i were you i would do something like my setup and call it a day.
:oops: youngdeezy, never forgot you for a second, you're my dawg... I did start my feedback, but wasn't gonna hit submit on it until my I filled your picture request (laptop is being a b*tch atm) and also, it's no one-liner, being sooo behind since you started that thread! Still, my bad bro..... Imma finish it up tonight.

dogdhit, thanks for all your advice, been going through all you suggested and I am so grateful for all your information that you provided, it's definitely got me thinking and at least I know what to do now, so thanks again bro, and also to everyone else who helped with info!
:friday:

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI

I'm really liking what you put together, everything you have done to this car is PERFECT! Just wodering did you get the body kit from lauren engineering? I went through the whole thread for about and hour and a half and you mentioned something about taking pieces from other cars??? Good luck on the rest of your project and heres lauren engineering's site

http://www.laureneng.com/index.html

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

454muscle said:
Yeah my mechanic will wash it out and try to see if it lights up lol. Should be able to get it to a point where the sump can be welded in.

If you don't mind me asking crucial118, how much did you pay for your GN tank and walbro pump?

I think I got the tank for around $150 shipped from ebay. And the pump was around $100. Can't remember where I got it though. Know it was online.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011

i agree!! i grew up with nothing too and while most people were buying houses and having kids, i was working OT to get some part id spend my weekends fighting to install in my backyard with minimal shitty tools. whether you have tonnes of cash or not, buying a crate motor or pickin parts off some junkyard beast, if you got the love, who cares what anyone else thinks. if your happy an you know it, throw up a middle finger! :doh: :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor