Rear Control Arms, What kind and What Vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
I have an 86 monte carlo ss been working on it for a while I have it off frame and doing body work now. I would like opinions on which rear control arms to purchase tubular,boxed,poly.roto and what vendor is going to give me the best bang for my buck? The car is basically going to be a week end cruiser with some trips down the track as I live near Thunder Valley (BMS) Bristol,TN.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have UMI conversion uppers and UMI custom lowers.....prices were great, great product support and the parts are well made

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I also have the UMI stuff on my car. Very well made parts are top notch.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I got UMI's double adjustable rear trailing arms back in '09. I love 'em.

BMR Suspension

G-Body Guru
Aug 2, 2012
Tampa FL
We make some items you should be interested in.

I know you said your car was a Cruiser with some Blasts down the strip - there lies the rub. If it was a cruiser I would say Tubular Arms with Poly Bushings. If it was a Racer, I would say Arms with Bearings. We do make some Arms with Poly on the Chassis Side and a Spherical Bearing on the Suspension side

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
A couple years ago when I was first putting my car together I bought some from a company called C3 Fab out of California. Since then the business was disbanded and then came back as 3c Fab.

When I was trying to go faster down the race track I bought the del-sphere tubular stuff from Spohn. It's very nice stuff. Haven't really driven it enough hard enough to need to adjust anything but if I ever do it's there.

The biggest thing I can say about rear suspension is the factory style bar is garbage and you should probably upgrade to a bar like one of these..

DSC05277web.jpg

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
I agree with the above post, UMI has a frame mounted sway bar kit like the picture. But to your original question I went with the rod end style double adjustable upper and lowers from UMI, and I have to say other than the fact they use junk powder coat like everybody does these days (I sandblasted and painted all the arms) they make a very nice piece. Rod ends free up the car, but they also add a new part to be maintained, they have to be cleaned and lubed every so often. Poly stuff lube it when you assemble it and forget about it. I believe the best handling improvement you can do on any 4-link car is put rod ends on the arms

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor