Rear End Noise

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I have a banging sound coming from the trunk area when I go over bumps, and it's driving me crazy because it's about the last of my rattles.. I've had it since I got the car on the road. It's not the gas tank or rear bumper, but it sounds like the noise is coming from the trunk lid. The sheet metal right between the front of the trunk and the rear window seems really flimsy. When I hit a bump, it sounds like someone is pounding their first on the trunk. I'm thinking that the narrow panel between the trunk and the rear window needs to be reinforced. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not even sure that I've identified the problem, but I think I have.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I had an issue on my 70 Nova, and it was the trunk spring rods that ran across between the hinges. They were hitting against each other. There was a small piece of rubber hose that was supposed to get between where they touched that had moved. I don't remember if the malibus have the same setup, I sold mine end of last summer and don't have one to look at.

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I had an issue on my 70 Nova, and it was the trunk spring rods that ran across between the hinges. They were hitting against each other. There was a small piece of rubber hose that was supposed to get between where they touched that had moved. I don't remember if the malibus have the same setup, I sold mine end of last summer and don't have one to look at.
Thanks Bracket, I dealt with that a while ago, put some rubber hose on there. Unfortunately, it didn't help the issue.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have in the past seen the trunk filler panel have the screw holes cracked and or rusted out at the back edge. That would allow it to rattle. The banging noise in mine is because when they bent up the tail pipes and installed them they were installed too far back and under a lot of compression they’re banging the front of the axle tubes

Reactions: 2 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I have in the past seen the trunk filler panel have the screw holes cracked and or rusted out at the back edge. That would allow it to rattle. The banging noise in mine is because when they bent up the tail pipes and installed them they were installed too far back and under a lot of compression they’re banging the front of the axle tubes
Hmmm. This might be something.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Is there something that you did to spot what was going on? What did you do to fix the issue, if anything?

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Did you change anything regarding the upper control arms? Maybe something there is loose or making contact.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
years ago I actually had a rear shock mount on the car I owned rip free. that is, the shock was still bolted in but the mounting point on the body, the welded-in pocket , the welds broke free. make sure nothing like that has happened.
otherwise, put your cell phone on video record, mount it in the trunk, and start driving to see if anything is flying loose.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
years ago I actually had a rear shock mount on the car I owned rip free. that is, the shock was still bolted in but the mounting point on the body, the welded-in pocket , the welds broke free. make sure nothing like that has happened.
otherwise, put your cell phone on video record, mount it in the trunk, and start driving to see if anything is flying loose.
Like this? This was the banging I all the sudden started hearing from my Malibu.

Go for a ride in the trunk.
Hopefully without your hands tied behind your back and no duct tape over your mouth.

Attachments

• tempImageSYVqnI.png
    tempImageSYVqnI.png
    11.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor