something is wrong....Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

original442

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2010
Grand Prairie, Texas
hey guys, havent been on here in a while, been busy with school and getting this job at nissan.
Ok here's what's going with my cutlass, a week ago i let my car warm up as usual before heading to school.
I go to get on the interstate and put it to the floor my car sounds like it has a heavy load moves like a slug dipped in tar. Even when I'm going 60-65 i cant floor it to pass, it just boggs down and goes no where.
Thinking it was getting too much fuel, I rebuilt my Q-jet and that didnt help. Now im leaning towards cutting my cat off and chunking it in 635 rush hour...lol j/k...oh yeah i have an 86 442 w/ 74 olds 350 #8 heads and the matching carb but stock exhaust, well manifolds back to the cat, from the 442...all help is appreciated guys!!! Thanks G-body Fam!!!

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Could be the cat is plugged, or a plug wire got burnt off or fell off. Also could be the accelerator pump in the carb. Need to know more like is the end of the spark plug grey,brown or black.

original442

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2010
Grand Prairie, Texas
sorry 81...all my plugs and wires are new when i pulled them the other day they looked fine, i changed the coil, cap and rotor too...i also forgot to add when i hit the accelerator i hear a swoosh of air.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I remember when I still had the air injection tubes on my old hooker headers back in the day the hose came off the smog pump and the car was sluggish. Hooked it back up and van blew chunks out the cat. Guess the unburnt fuel clogged the cat cuz it was rich and wasn't getting the fresh air in the exhaust but may be something to look into with that cat

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Sounds like either a plugged cat or fuel restriction. Have you checked your fuel pressure?

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but it sounds like you can add fuel filter and vacuum leak to the things to check. Also, if you adjusted it recently, retarded timing might do some of that.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
When I deleted my CCC system last year and installed a new non CCC distributor and it ran great. Driving to my friends on the highway after installation, it really lost alot of power. I would floor it and it had NO get up and go. Coming off the highway it wasn't idling very well either. So what was the problem? Distributor hold down was loose and caused the distributor to rotate into a severly retarded position.

455rocket

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2011
PA
i also forgot to add when i hit the accelerator i hear a swoosh of air.

Yank the cat. That noise is the exhaust tryin to get out ahead of the converter.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Sounds like the cat is a good place to start. Something else you can check, a long shot but worth looking at if you haven't tracked it down yet, would be electrical. Battery, charge, coil ground strap (small metal tab inside the HEI cap), engine ground, etc. I once had an issue where a car would run fine at low RPM, and fall on it's face at high RPM. Turned out to be something along these lines, where it had enough electrical system energy to fire the coil at low RPM, but not at higher RPM.

original442

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2010
Grand Prairie, Texas
Thanks for the info guys...haven't gotten around to yank that cat because of work...
Now I have more problems to worry about with my baby...I freaking bought seals and axle bearings for the rear because my driver's side was leaking, so I go to the in the zone place and ask for what I needed. Install them and ride home. On Sunday I hear a thud come from the rear and gear lube is all in the wheel well. Get to school today and pulled the axles and saw that the bearings were basically slicing my axle off on the driver's side.I also so that my axle tube had a groove in it. Looked at the other side and saw that it was starting to happen there. Do you guys think they sold me the wrong bearings????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor