Sound system ideas. sub or no

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ok so trying to figure out my sound system setup while i have nothing but time on my hands.

head unit is an older pioneer that is really nice that i removed from my truck which i put a pioneer touch screen into.

this is how its planned so far. I have new lower door panels that im going to run a set of eclipse 6.5 3 way components in. The tweeters and mid ranges will mount in the factory 3.5" position in the dash and the 6.5" midbass will be in the door. these speakers are 100w RMS

in the rear deck i am planning on running 2 Alpine Type-R SPR-50 5.25" 2 way coaxials. i have an idea on how to effectively mount these. these speakers are 90W RMS

plans for the amp is an M.b. Quart onyx 4.80 which provides 80W x 4 RMS @ 4Ohms which puts me over 70% of the rms capabilities of the speakers which should sound great.

now my question is should i run a sub? the plan at this point had been not to run a sub. the car is a weekend cruiser and im not into crazy bass. i only like a little punch and thats about all. i noticed M.b. quart has the same amp im looking at but a 5 channel version which provides 4x80W and 1x250W RMS @ 4 ohms for around $140 more than the 4 channel versison.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
I'm not knocking your set up plans but I would reccament instead of alpine and eclipse to go with either Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood or Memphis audio. They are the order of my favorite to 3rd choice companies.

If you're looking for a budget build go with kenwood. Future shop is having a great sale on their stuff. I got 2 6.5 240watt max 80 rms for 140 after i paid extra for 2 year warrenty. You can get a new head unit for 240, tweeters plus 6.5 for 169 and 1000 watt max, 600 rms performance series 10" sub for 130. I would also get a mono amp for you sub because it will give you the best base and keep the sub at 2 ohm. You already have the treble set up so a 12" would be slightly useless if you're looking for more bass.

I'm also more of a all one brand or nothing kind of guy but it also takes money and time to get that set up. But good luck with the set up.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
already have the head unit and already have the 6.5 eclipse 3 way components. they are amazing components hands down. just simply trying to figure out the rest of my setup.

was thinking of grabbing some eclipse 5.25" speakers for the rear and using an eclipse amp. people can say what they want about eclipse but i love them. currently have an all alluminum coned 10 eclipse sub in my truck that just thumps like crazy.

i guess what i am getting at here is a sub really necessary. most music will be classic rock/country rock.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
If you are not in to extreme base you should look at something like a powered bazooka tube. I had a 10" one a while back. There was plenty of bass from it for your style of music plus they don't take up too much room and very easy to remove if necessary.

ElCaminoGRAN/SPORT

Master Mechanic
Apr 13, 2011
S.carolina
I think one good 10 or 12 in a sealed box would be perfect for what you want.I listen to all types of music and alot of songs your missing something if your not getting all the basenotes and only highs .

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i almost thought of taking the eclipse 10 out of the truck and putting in the car then getting a 12" type r or something for the truck

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would use 1 10 or 12" sub. I have only had 1 sub in my Monte with a ported box and it sounds wayyy better IMO than any of my friends with their 2 12s or 15s. It cracks me up to see someone with huge systems and all name brand sh*t but it still sounds horrible because they cant tune it and they just wanna be heard by everyone :lol:

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
what are the dimensions of the raised area inside the trunk? i would measure myself but im stuck in the bed for a couple weeks

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
mebe007 said:
what are the dimensions of the raised area inside the trunk? i would measure myself but im stuck in the bed for a couple weeks
I had 3 JL Audio 10W1's in the raised area with no problems. Subs want to face rearward or downward in G-bodies. I think a single 12 would be great. A single 10 may not be deep enough. I also had 4 Kicker 12's facing rearward in the rear of the trunk and hit 142 dB's with a crappy amp.

I hope you have better luck with Eclipse speakers than I did. I was sold on them, being told their were Infinity Kappa with a different name on them. I put 3.5's in the dash and blew them in under an hour. Took them back under warranty and got Boston Pro Series components and put them in kick panels. Hands down, the Boston's were the best sounding components I have ever had. Put my MB Quart's to shame.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
whoever told you eclipse where infinities was poorly educated. Eclipse is made by fujitsu ten which is an outstanding company. been running their stuff for years. but like you said hopefully this setup goes issue free.

anyone have those dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor