speedway motors boxed rear control arms

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
was going to get stock replacements by speedway but of course on BO when go to order. grrrrrrr they werent 2 hrs ago. i didnt want to go with poly bushings but no choice left OR does anyone know where can get stamp steels, who's got these things and how are they as a daily driver? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7WA2A0/?tag=gbody-20

and there's without bushings but 1 comment says theyre for a chevelle? none take a sway bar, down side?

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Have you checked listings for 1982-'02 Camaros? They're the same dimensions and it used to be an upgrade if you used the 1LE bushings, but I think that's all that Moog sells now anyway.

As for the Speedway kit I don't think you'll like it with poly bushings. I'm currently running Lakewood Lift Bars on the bottom: they're basically just a boxed arm with a bracket that lets them hang lower, and they have poly bushings. I still have the stock uppers for now. The rear bushings on these cars NEED to flex or they just bind and then transfer stress to the frame, and elongate the bolt holes. It sucks. If you can afford it then Johnny Joints/ Roto Joints with Delrin liners are preferred since they're durable, rebuildable, and self lubricating. Rubber really is the best choice for many folks because it works and lasts for years without maintenance. Hopefully you can find some.

I'd absolutely want to run a rear sway bar, just not one that's attached to the control arms. A different type of bar that mounts to the chassis and clamps to the differential is much better.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Rock Auto has your rear lower control arm bushings available from AC Delco and Moog. These are for a '94 Trans Am.

Screenshot_20240426-012455.png Screenshot_20240426-012622.png

Reactions: 2 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Have you checked listings for 1982-'02 Camaros? They're the same dimensions and it used to be an upgrade if you used the 1LE bushings, but I think that's all that Moog sells now anyway.

As for the Speedway kit I don't think you'll like it with poly bushings. I'm currently running Lakewood Lift Bars on the bottom: they're basically just a boxed arm with a bracket that lets them hang lower, and they have poly bushings. I still have the stock uppers for now. The rear bushings on these cars NEED to flex or they just bind and then transfer stress to the frame, and elongate the bolt holes. It sucks. If you can afford it then Johnny Joints/ Roto Joints with Delrin liners are preferred since they're durable, rebuildable, and self lubricating. Rubber really is the best choice for many folks because it works and lasts for years without maintenance. Hopefully you can find some.

I'd absolutely want to run a rear sway bar, just not one that's attached to the control arms. A different type of bar that mounts to the chassis and clamps to the differential is much better.
i'm checking out the boxed 1s without the bushings aparently they recomend moog "can be used with our polyurethane or stock bushings such as Moog K-6178" which im assuming acdelco 1s will work too. i agree with you out the polys for same reasons i constantly hear. now i dont blow doughnuts or take corners hard so i could maybe give up sway bar for awhile.

Reactions: 1 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
oh great different size bushings on same arm again. lol on the front lowers i didnt know that till late.
I believe all 4 rear LCA bushings are the same, and I'm pretty sure the upper bushings in the "ears" of the differential use the same ones too.

The fronts can be extra fun if you install S10 arms/bushings but use G Body bolts. Same arm, slightly different bushings with different inside diameters.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I believe all 4 rear LCA bushings are the same, and I'm pretty sure the upper bushings in the "ears" of the differential use the same ones too.

The fronts can be extra fun if you install S10 arms/bushings but use G Body bolts. Same arm, slightly different bushings with different inside diameters.
good thats what i was hoping to hear. yeah i should have the front all set and its on order. had cross referenced the ID to make sure were 12mm. chasing parts is the worst.... no let me restate chasing down bolts is the worst. considering just leaving the rear alone at this point & save for another time.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Oh man, bolts have been the bane of my existence more than once. And I agree that sometimes it's best to leave things as they are and circle back later. I struggle with that though.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Last edited:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
All 8 rear bushings are the same.

I'd rebuild the old ones. Etch them with phosphoric acid (sold to clean up tile), rub them with scotch brite, spray them flat black rustoleum. If your car is for the streets, I don't see how you'd benefit from boxed LCAs.

BTW, I have a set of upper/lowers rebuilt and painted with new rubber bushings, but wouldn't sell them for $200 because the shipping would probably be $50. They're prolly going in the Cutlass this summer. Once you get them out of the car, it is a couple hours of easy work.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor