BUILD THREAD Sweet Johnny & Gina: A Love "Two Large" To Fail

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Here's what lies beneath the intake manifold:
IMG_20240328_004513323.jpg

The lifters don't really want to come up and out the top which tells me they're mushroomed on the bottom. I got the exhaust lifter for #1 out and it's a combination of rough, flat, and concave so I imagine the cam doesn't look great either. I've been wrestling with the idea of swapping it out for some time, and picked multiple candidates before selecting the profile that I wanted but I don't have it right now nor did I plan on swapping it any time soon. When talking with my dad about what I thought was going to be wrong with the engine I still wanted to make a change but he reasonably talked me into doing what was necessary and not much more. However..... While I was in there I was plagued with thoughts telling me that there's no better time than now, and a few about how I should check the valley and scope out the old cam but can leave it in if things looked alright. Psychiatrists call that "bargaining". I knew once I removed the intake and pushrods that I'd be replacing the cam, which is where I'm pausing at the moment. Aside from a cam kit I have everything I need as well as a couple surprises that I'm saving for later. There's a double roller, gaskets, etc.. and I do actually have a cam but it's inside another engine. One with a stripped balancer keyway and a busted starter boss. I'm strongly considering taking that cam and lifters but I don't know the actual specs on it. It was in my first truck so I'm very familiar with its manners in a 350, and it's an excellent street profile that works perfectly with the converter I just put in- they've been paired up before. I used it in an extreme budget build challenge but reusing a balancer ultimately led to the engine being pulled after a few months.

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I got like stack of cams new in box. Been sitting for awhile I'll send you one

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I just notice all that carbon ruining the environment, so your the one that caused global warming?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
64 to 58 CC depending on who you ask 1.72 x 1.5. Not known as great flow. Kind of your typical base 305 head. They were on 267 and 307 also. 1975 to 1985ish.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'd love a new camshaft, thanks! I was really hoping to get on the road by Friday so I don't have to ask for a ride or rent another car but the only way that happens is by using the old stuff I have. It's always better to have a cam that you actually know the specs of though- what do you have in mind? Are any of those SS heads ready to run too? If Gina will be down for a week we might need to see about changing those out. You'd be fairly compensated, of course.

Since I missed meeting with my new transmission builder I could possibly use that deposit $$ to rent a car for a few days instead if absolutely necessary.

I'm thinking the carbon and sludge is due to using paraffin based motor oil and never driving outside the city limits of Augusta or getting hot enough to burn anything off.

Last edited:

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
You make a valid point. So burnouts in second, through town to keep the engine warmer. Less carbon build up..., reduction of global warming!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I got your address, so I'll get some combat buddies to HALO in a cam kit.
What? For real? Dude you're something else. That would be amazing, thank you so much! Aside from PT and grabbing some more parts I plan on being in the garage the rest of the day.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Coming Blackhawk QRF...

You might have to duck when they hover.

Some of the guys aren't very bright. Screenshot_20240328-121910.png

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor