T5 to T8 or LED ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
One of the two 48" light fixtures in the kitchen is not working ( ballast ). As they are phasing out Fluorescent lighting I am having an issue with finding a replacement T5 ballast for less than $50 ( ridiculous ).

So whats the call here ? Retrofit to even older but still supported T8 for $40 or so per fixture or drop $ 200 on an ugly LED fixture just so I can gut in to rebuild it into the existing ceiling fixture ?

And when did lighting get so damn ugly ? We seen fixtures today with like a dozen light bulbs on a rod at odd angles, and other ones that you would need a 16 foot ceiling to hang from so you dont smack your head on them !

I have an Oak box that matches my cabinets mounted to the ceiling with lights in it. IK would prefer to keep it that way so WTF is wrong with that ? Oh... right NOTHING ! But nothing a Lowes, HD, Rona or even 2 lighting stores we went to even slightly appealed to us.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You can get retrofit LED tubes that fit into fluorescent holders, but they may require a rewire to work.

You can also just buy a similar light on the cheap and gut it for its ballast. I did this for the crappy light at my parents house with a $10 exposed fluorescent light. Was cheaper than a new $60 light.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
convert the existing fixture to LED , we are doing that at work now ,lose the ballast and new clips for the LED bulbs...and about 5 minutes of rewiring ,of course that 5 minutes is sitting on work surface at working height not 8 foot in the air working from a ladder .

the different in light is awesome. you will end up doing both fixtures.

and I agree on current lighting choices......they all look like...insert your choice of bad word here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I looked at Kijiji but for the price point of $40 to get 2 new bulbs and a new ballast why bother.

I also looked at existing fixtures at the 3 big box stores and they are all T8 with none of them being a T5 to steal the ballast from.
So I guess $26 for the fixture and another $10 for the tubes plus tax is $40 to get it lighted again ( the LED t8 retrofit bulbs are like $18 each ).

Meh I guess I am just cheap. For now I pulled the fixture and there are 2 bare LED lightbulbs so we dont have to wash dishes in the dark :)

So much for fishing today ! Lights to fix, and a fence to mend. Maybe take the old heap out for a spin once its all done !

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor