The 1981-to-1979 malibu rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
Re: 1981 malibu rebuild

if i was going to fix this car all i would have to do is unbolt the motor mounts and pull the engine/trans together, then take the body off the frame.

the firewall on the current car is rotted through in a few spots, this is one.

malibu-end001.jpg

some of the body mount points on the body are really badly rusted.

malibu-end002.jpg

this is the driver side corner where the wheel well, quarter panel and trunk floor come together. you can see a rubber body mount puck on the frame, and the body has collapsed in that area where the body mount goes. there is nothing left there. if i was to poke it with a screwdriver there would be a massive hole in this area after i was done.

malibu-end009.jpg

this is the same spot as above from inside the trunk.

malibu-end010.jpg

quarter glass window channels

malibu-end007.jpg

malibu-end008.jpg

malibu-end006.jpg

part of the door post is rotted above the vent

malibu-end005.jpg

its too much work for me, plus just the $$$ i spend on a floor, doors, and quarters I can have another complete car, that is RUST FREE! :friday: there is a lot more rust to this car. the rocker panels are rotted inside and out. this car is not worth saving.

I have found another car and i am going to try again, hopefully. If all goes right, I will have a new car in January.

goodbye old friend :( we had some good times together.

malibu-end014.jpg

I will update the thread after I get a new car that is in better shape.

81_2dr_bu

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2008
mass

i remember those days im on my 4th bu my current one is the best but its from tenesse a granmas car that was converted into a drag car and i returned back to a street car ,,,,, my 1st bu i cut up with a sawzall and stored as much good metal ,,,, its hard to find nice rides as you know ,,,,take your time gl

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey

81 Malibu rebuild /end
79 Malibu rebuild /start

:mrgreen:

picked up a clean 79 Malibu that I found locally. It came from the New Mexico desert and had spent only 2 months in Pennsylvania. The car has some surface rust on the hood and rear window filler panel. It is going to get stripped and then sent to the body shop for paint.

Leaving Pennsylvania...

IMG_20120107_150236.jpg

IMG_20120107_150248.jpg

Now in New Jersey

IMG_20120108_155318.jpg

79malibu003.jpg

305 ..... junk :rofl:

79malibu002.jpg

clean as a whistle

79malibu006.jpg

79malibu007.jpg

79malibu010.jpg

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Much Better 8)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
No sh*t you stole it for $1400! That looks really clean. Nice find and that just eliminated SOOOOO much work for ya

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
On that belt hanging from the roof it looks like belt extender given buy dealership if you had extra girth like Santa......but the usually hooked up at the console side of the seat belt..............without seeing the other end of it I cant be for sure.....weird.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor