Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Evan's 85 said:
David Williamson said:
RITTER said:
Just catching up on the news here, read through the first 3 full pages here. Sounds like a pretty shady place that did the motor. For a shop to charge $1100 to get a junk yard motor and install it, that is dirt cheap :!:

You said the fluids were full when you left that day ... were they still full after the incident :?: I will also state that the engine is definitely not seized ... you can see the alternator fan spinning when you try to start the car in your video. Start with some of the basic things to check:
-check for spark
-compression test (each cylinder)

Possibly a broken timing chain :idea: Too kind of touch on what "CAPERKEV" said, bump the engine over with the key, like normal, and see if the rotor (under the distributor cap) even moves :idea: A timing chain breaking would definitely make a nasty noise and would continue to make excessive noise because the crank gear would still be catching it and pushing it around.

Yeah they were pretty sketchy but actually pretty big around here.
There shop gets lots of business and lots of G-bodies.
No when I left their shop there was no fluids when I got home i checked them and I filled them up.
Yeah I figured it wasn't seized when I saw the alternator turning normally.
I will check for all the above to figure this out.
I appreciate this all sincerely I will check everything and when I come back in and figure anything out I will share it with you all.
let me get this right...when u went to the shop it had no fluids? so it was drove home with no fluids? just checking man

Pretty much, I had no water or antifreeze so I filled that up and I had a oil puddle under my car where there was oil in it at one point but on my drive home it came out and then leaked onto my driveway.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Why in the heck would they let you leave with a car with no fluids in it? Am I understanding you right? That you drove the car home to find out it had no fluids, then topped it off in your driveway or did you have to fill it all up before you left the shop? This just sucks all around man.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Why in the heck would they let you leave with a car with no fluids in it? Am I understanding you right? That you drove the car home to find out it had no fluids, then topped it off in your driveway or did you have to fill it all up before you left the shop? This just sucks all around man.

No your right.
What happened was this, they rushed us out as fast as possible, they said they were closing up and that they had plans for valentines day with their wives, as I had with mine so we all just took it around the block for a drive and we left.
Because they kept saying their late for plans and all this so we just left, when I got home my mom said someones car is leaking oil I said cant be mine i just got mine back.
It was mine, so I popped the hood, their was absolutely no water or antifreeze so I topped it off, then checked the dip stick for oil and it was completely dry, so I topped it off too.
So I topped every fluid off just to be safe.
Called them because later that night we were going out to eat, My alternator bracket bolt slipped cause the washer was to small and didn't hold it in place, the bolt fell, slipped the belt off wrapped itself into the fan.
I had to cut it out, Tried calling them they said they would fix it but they couldn't get to it anytime that night cause they were at the Indiana boat with their wives.
So they said they couldn't help us, I called my mom she came picked us up I got the belt cause I had to cut the other one out, got the new bolt and washers then it worked perfectly fine.
Then the next day it died out and now that's when they starter to get really offensive and unreliable to fix it cause it was my fault.
This is pretty much the entire thing in a nutshell.
No were here it in this predicament.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Take lots of pictures. Record any further phone conversations and keep emails, text, voice mails etc. Like I said before I don't know what you can do legally but from that description it sounds like they let a car out of their lot that wasn't ready. Or they never drove it to see it was leaking a bunch of sh*t out of it. Either way it shows how they value their name to allow junk to leave their lot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm confused...when you got the car back you said ..

David Williamson said:
Thanks you, Yes so happy we haven't stopped honestly we are going everywhere.
I hope they are too. Thanks again.

David Williamson said:
You have no Idea, I have been having a blast in it again.
I get stares and people always coming up to me asking me about it, Makes me feel good again.
Thanks again seriously, for everything!

How is there no oil or antifreeze when you driving the car everywhere nonstop? If it was leaking as bad as you say it would have been smoking or someone would have seen the puddles

455rocket

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2011
PA
pontiacgp said:
I'm confused...when you got the car back you said ..

David Williamson said:
Thanks you, Yes so happy we haven't stopped honestly we are going everywhere.
I hope they are too. Thanks again.

David Williamson said:
You have no Idea, I have been having a blast in it again.
I get stares and people always coming up to me asking me about it, Makes me feel good again.
Thanks again seriously, for everything!

How is there no oil or antifreeze when you driving the car everywhere nonstop? If it was leaking as bad as you say it would have been smoking or someone would have seen the puddles

Like I said, a lot of holes and inconsistant answers in this story.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
I'm with 455rocket,

first David says:
David Williamson said:
67rstbkt said:
I'm not understanding what you're getting for $1000. A rebuilt motor? Another used motor? More parts thrown at it?

Its a used motor with new parts, They say low miles runs great and nothing wrong with it at all.
But i never got to see/hear it, but I guess when I go to pick it up I will finally see it run and everything.

But then he says:
David Williamson said:
Yeah I would have mentioned it was a used motor if I even knew.
The way they were selling it to me and my wife it was new, no miles and a great running engine.

I think somebody needs a reality check.

You screwed up and are trying to blame someone else. You have your "wants" and "needs" screwed up. You "want" a g-body with a v-8, you "need" a reliable family car.

How do you and your wife get to work without a reliable car to drive?

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
my guess is they left the oil filter loose, causing it to lose oil. as for the antifreeze, if they filled it up and never get the engine to operating temp, then it would've needed to be topped off with some more collant after it was ran some. that would be normal.

And guys, he knows he doesn't know alot about cars, but let him learn.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
There's a time to learn and then there's a time when you just need to get other things in order in your life before you try spending every dime (literally) on a car that is NOT and would have never been reliable enough to be work and family transportation.

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
all i know is, that i sell rebuilt motors alot, most get kicked out the door for a grand or abit more, depending on what the guys want, as for 1100 for a motor and to have the old one hauled out, another dropped in, seems very low to me, but what do i know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor