Went & did some tire kicking

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Finally picked up the Saginaw tonight. Seller is a car guy but had no idea it was a 4 speed or a Saginaw. He had it ready for me to inspect it & I was surprised with how clean, smooth & tight everything is with it. I have decoded it to being out of a '75 H car but the ink stamped code is well painted over. I haven't did the spin count yet as I just wanted to get the stamped numers checked out. The interesting thing I have come across is all Monza's ran a 3.11 1st regardless of the motor that year. I can't find Vega info to see if it was the same for them too as GM Heritage doesn't have info packs on them but the Cosworth cars do have info saying they only had 3.11 1st too. Regardless Jr. now has a 4 speed for his car & it was only $125.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
upload_2019-9-22_19-41-45.png

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I have that info in my stick shift files. But I have had a 3.11 with no grooves which I found odd, Then there is the '76 3.75 4 speeds in the 140 L4 Monza's. I haven't been able to find any data on the Vega's to see if they had it too.
I can't promise when because... health issues. Hip drilling and marrow extraction on top of all the rest = no fun.

But.

If you recall those 1000-odd gm manuals I picked up from a dealer about a year back, there were Vega and monza factory GM service manuals in the piles.

One of those might have the info you seek in it. Then again it may not. But, eventually when I am up for some bending and lifting again, I dont mind trying to find out if it's in there. Just right now all thr manuals are in computer paper boxes and stacked 5 ft tall.on a pallet.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I can't promise when because... health issues. Hip drilling and marrow extraction on top of all the rest = no fun.

But.

If you recall those 1000-odd gm manuals I picked up from a dealer about a year back, there were Vega and monza factory GM service manuals in the piles.

One of those might have the info you seek in it. Then again it may not. But, eventually when I am up for some bending and lifting again, I dont mind trying to find out if it's in there. Just right now all thr manuals are in computer paper boxes and stacked 5 ft tall.on a pallet.
Take your time, heal first.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
No matter what it is, Saginaw were super deep 1st gear, which compliments lame Gbody rear gears. Good snag.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Had some time this morning for us to jump on some stuff. Went over the Saginaw somemore to fin the two grooves on the input shaft which I can't understand how I over looked it. Finally gave a spin regardless & verified it's the 3.11 I was wanting. Found out the GM/ITM shifter mount bracket has a smaller hole in the mount position that uses the tail housing to main case bolt, it's ment for the 3/8 stud but I'll open it up for the 7/16 bolt unless one of those OE 7/16-3/8 studs can be found. Then we tackled the driver side parking light socket. It was a broken ground tab inside being the issue. Must of broke when the bulb was changed. Spliced in a replacement from the hacked extra light harness. Then I found out the ground wire can be unpluged from the harness just to have the contact tab break too. An easy ground wire swap since every thing on it was put together with terminals, just had to retape the side markers junction. Now all the lights work other than the dash right turn indicator but that'll wait until we get into the dash.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Per the owners request for keeping things near original I bought him a NOS Landu vinyl roof in the correct color for the car. Just under $45 shipped was something I really couldn't pass up but had to wait a while for the seller to relist it. So the plan is we pull the original & repair/treat all that might be hiding under it. Then if things are ugly & need metal it'll go on. If not it might just stay off & get painted the same color to match vinyl color.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Per the owners request for keeping things near original I bought him a NOS Landu vinyl roof in the correct color for the car. Just under $45 shipped was something I really couldn't pass up but had to wait a while for the seller to relist it. So the plan is we pull the original & repair/treat all that might be hiding under it. Then if things are ugly & need metal it'll go on. If not it might just stay off & get painted the same color to match vinyl color.
Man some owners can be a real pain :wax:

• Haha

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
We got the back ordered Super Brights bulbs for the tail lights today. Now other than the headlights (which will be H4's later) all the exterior bulbs are LED. Since Jr. had a friend over he didn't get to see the joys of pulling out '79-'80 Monte Carlo tail light bulbs as I swapped them out. I knew the flasher fuses won't work with them all in but still tried the turn signals & 4 ways just to ensure everything works which it all does. The brights are dim cause of the flashers arn't the right ones. I'm going to start anther thread on the need for a good set of flasher fuses for LEDs so it'll be there for future searches.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor