What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Got into mine to fix the loose door lock cylinder. As expected, clip was in the bottom of the door.

20220722_093258.jpg

Definitely was some weak metal, real easy to bend so I consulted the bucket of random..

20220722_095134.jpg

Found one that was much better and installed that. Silver one is weak crap. High performance Pinto bolts for funsies..

20220722_095112.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sounds not too shabby. I noticed that the needle on the inline gauge at the carb didn't deflect all that much when you goosed it but if the ECU is handling the fuel delivery then it would be handling the sensing of a change in fuel demand and responding to that increase/decrease accordingly. Because the increase in fuel delivered to the throttle body is only brief, there may not be enough time for the ECU to receive a change in the throttle position from the IAC (Idle Acceleration Controller) and respond to it

By way of example, the screen on the programmer/monitor for my own FI unit shows the various subroutines and programs that it has written to its E-Prom. One of these has a subroutine that displays a feature called "Large Gauges" and shows a list of inputs that can be displayed as digital readouts. There is a four item limit but if a viewer might want to see a specific set of items all they do is scroll down to the item they want and highlight it as being part of the list of items to show. On mine I have the idle rate in RPM's and the IAC response rate listed as to be shown and that lets me watch how quick the idle drops as the motor warms up. For my own FI unit, the IAC reading has to fall below 9 with the motor temp at the point the thermostat opens to be acceptable and to get it there I had to do some serious tweaking to the idle stop screw because it had come totally unadjusted; it was completely unscrewed with no tension on the spring, from the factory, and the installation literature had not bothered to mention that wee fact.

Where I am headed with all this is that, were your screen to be showing the IAC reading and you blipped the throttle, the value of the reading ought to rise quickly and then just as quickly drop back to, well, call it "rest" or "off". You wouldn't necessarily see the fuel pressure shift but the increase in the IAC value would be the ECU taking note of the increase in the fuel delivery and raising the idle rate to compensate for it.

Is Holley still believing that your problem is fuel delivery related? If it idles okay but dies at speed or under load, Have you, at this point, done a full fuel system investigation; starting at the tank with the pickup and checking everything between the tank and the FI? Kind of wondering here if the system is Return, meaning it has a full line running back from the FI to the return inlet on the tank, or returnless, meaning that either the electric pump in the tank has the ability to monitor and maintain the fuel pressure at exactly what the engine needs so no excess fuel to be returned back to the tank, or if an inline pump, it has a built in regulator, like the Holley Pumps, one version of which I happen to have, that diverts excess fuel right at the pump and immediately sends it back to the tank via a dedicated return line plumbed directly into the pump. No line from the GI unit required. Is there an line filter located at the pump? Are lines large enough to handle the volume of fuel that the system is delivering.

All of this is highly interesting to me simply because at some point in the immediate future I will have to replumb the fuel delivery system in my van and the tank is supposed to be getting either an in tank pump, or possibly the external in line with the built in regulator My big sticking point is geography, the tank has very little open top area available to drill the hole for the new in tank unit. Decisions, decisions.

Nick

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
Well, got back into the cutlass after work today to find that my rearview mirror had fallen off…
Guess that’s how you know it got a little bit warm out today

Still no cracks in the dash, take that as a win
Maybe I won’t take it to work to sit outside in the sun for 8 hours on these 40 degree Celsius days

🤦🏻‍♂️💀

Reactions: 1 user

My85

Traveling Man
Dec 28, 2021
North Florida
I deep cleaned/pressure washed the engine, ospho'ed some surface rust in the engine bay (swing arms, steering box, a few bolt heads, etc) on my lifelong garage kept '85 Regal....Thank you Florida! Painted them flat black, turned out pretty nice. Now suffering thru the 'project growth' syndrome because I've never able to leave well enough alone. Now I've added replacing valve cover gaskets, thermostat and housing, water pump, upgraded to a Champion 3 core radiator, wire loomed all wires, replaced a few vacuum lines, pulled ac control unit from dash to fix selector gear(ask me about this, lol) I actually came up with what I thought was a pretty brilliant fix and cheap too. Oh, and I washed and waxed her. Think that about covers my weekend. I'll put some picks up of the engine compartment when I get that complete (waiting on valve cover gaskets) here's a few of the exterior for now.

Attachments

• DSC_0563.JPG
    DSC_0563.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0561.JPG
    DSC_0561.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0562.JPG
    DSC_0562.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0558.JPG
    DSC_0558.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I deep cleaned/pressure washed the engine, ospho'ed some surface rust in the engine bay (swing arms, steering box, a few bolt heads, etc) on my lifelong garage kept '85 Regal....Thank you Florida! Painted them flat black, turned out pretty nice. Now suffering thru the 'project growth' syndrome because I've never able to leave well enough alone. Now I've added replacing valve cover gaskets, thermostat and housing, water pump, upgraded to a Champion 3 core radiator, wire loomed all wires, replaced a few vacuum lines, pulled ac control unit from dash to fix selector gear(ask me about this, lol) I actually came up with what I thought was a pretty brilliant fix and cheap too. Oh, and I washed and waxed her. Think that about covers my weekend. I'll put some picks up of the engine compartment when I get that complete (waiting on valve cover gaskets) here's a few of the exterior for now.
Beautiful car!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor