What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
i'd wager to say they also have more efficient combustion chambers as well...
Looking back at your dyno graph it’s clear by the way the torque is nose diving while the HP is still climbing that something in your batch of parts is somewhat mismatched imo. But I’m also concerned about the recording, I’m not familiar with the HO and TQ curve intersecting at that low of an rpm.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Timing and fuel will make that graph do that, too low of RPM for valve float and the HP is climbing not flattening out. Too high of timing under peak torque load it'll cause detonation.

I'm thinking some exhaust scavenging would help given there's no crossover.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Looking back at your dyno graph it’s clear by the way the torque is nose diving while the HP is still climbing that something in your batch of parts is somewhat mismatched imo. But I’m also concerned about the recording, I’m not familiar with the HO and TQ curve intersecting at that low of an rpm.
The cam I have is admittedly too rowdy for my setup. I really should have a bit more compression and head flow.

But on the other hand, this is the same cam that was in this engine 4 years ago.

Only thing I changed about the whole setup was timing and fuel and adding mufflers. I'm 99% positive the mufflers are at least 40% of the power loss, then the extra 4 degrees of timing. Sbb typically run best around 32, and I have it at 36 all in by 2700-2800. I'll schedule another more intensive session soon, but for $150/hr it'll be a while yet.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Well, if you have known losses I'd get your mod improvements done first before going back. Keep in mind a Dyno is just a tool, you'll get it dialed in for that day and weather conditions.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The cam I have is admittedly too rowdy for my setup. I really should have a bit more compression and head flow.

But on the other hand, this is the same cam that was in this engine 4 years ago.

Only thing I changed about the whole setup was timing and fuel and adding mufflers. I'm 99% positive the mufflers are at least 40% of the power loss, then the extra 4 degrees of timing. Sbb typically run best around 32, and I have it at 36 all in by 2700-2800. I'll schedule another more intensive session soon, but for $150/hr it'll be a while yet.
The word ‘typically’ is the issue and it makes a fair amount of assumptions about your setup.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yea, I can have 10 different engines with the exact same setups and all 10 will run complete different. Close maybe, but different. They will run they way they run. Baselines are good to have but again run the way they want to run.

All depends on your goal here, what are you trying to achieve.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Yea, I can have 10 different engines with the exact same setups and all 10 will run complete different. Close maybe, but different. They will run they way they run. Baselines are good to have but again run the way they want to run.

All depends on your goal here, what are you trying to achieve.

Power Electricity GIF by StickerGiant

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Swapped in the new bigger battery, seemed to solve the issues so hopefully will be swapping it out with the GTO so I can do the clutch replacement on it this weekend. When I get it back to my place I have to touch up the wheels and hopefully paint the top of the Edlebrock then give her a hell of a cleaning

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor