WHAT DO I DO WITH THE VAPOR CANISTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
I have also heard that the vapor canister helps your engine from carbon build up, but dont quote me on this. I would just leave it, I did when I droped in my crate.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
79GPSJ said:
If i were to hook it back up im not putting any of my egr components on the engine and theres about three lines from the vapor canister that go to some of those components,, switches, carb,, I dont want to just leave those lines open i think there might be vapors coming out of them because of the line that goes to the fuel tank.

It should be marked to show what goes to the carb and what goes to the tank. Just connect those two and plug anything you dont use.

79GPSJ

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2008
DAN2286 I WAS THINKING OF DOING JUST THAT, HOOKING UP THE ONE THAT GOEA TO THE CARB AND PLUGGING THE REST.... AND LUE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT HAVE A SETUP SIMILAR TO WHAT I AM PLANNING TO DO..... DO YOU HAVE ANY PICS OF YOUR ENGINE BAY SO I CAN SEE HOW YOU ROUTED ALL YOUR LINES.... THANKS FOR THE HELP

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
79GPSJ said:
DAN2286 I WAS THINKING OF DOING JUST THAT, HOOKING UP THE ONE THAT GOEA TO THE CARB AND PLUGGING THE REST.... AND LUE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT HAVE A SETUP SIMILAR TO WHAT I AM PLANNING TO DO..... DO YOU HAVE ANY PICS OF YOUR ENGINE BAY SO I CAN SEE HOW YOU ROUTED ALL YOUR LINES.... THANKS FOR THE HELP

I dont have mine set up yet. Im still putting my car together right now. :cry:

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i took mine out when i installed the new crate, just fed the line out of the engine bay from the fuel tank to keep the fumes out of the engine bay. never had a problem 2 yrs running it this way

supreme_eighty5

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Upstate, NY
nooo sh*t, i was just wondering today, why every time i fill my beater up the gas cap always has tons of pressure behind it and ends up popping off on the ground when i unscrew it :lol: i ran my exhaust out the side and it melted the line to the evap cannister and melted it shut :lol: :lol: good info in here

rxl158

n00b
Apr 3, 2009
Simpsonville, SC
I moved the canister to the rear next to the gas tank. I made a small bracket and mounted it slightly higher than the tank on the left side. It keeps pressure from building in the tank and gas fumes from escaping. Pretty simple fix to keep the canister out of site and free up some engine bay space :D

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would leave it in place as it is the simplest way to vent the gas tank. If you plug off the line, the car will run out of gas because the pump will not be able to overcome the vacuum it builds in the tank. Yeah, I learned that one the hard way! Also, just pulling the hose off and leaving the line open will make the tank puke raw gasoline through the line when the car is not running. And yes, I know that from experience too. Not all emissions equipment robs power from the engine. Much of it can coexist on a performance minded vehicle, but not all of it actually cuts emissions either. I left some of my stuff, and eliminated others where needed. I like leaving some stuff because it makes the car look slower than it is.

78 Green Lemans

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2009
Penticton BC Canada
Someone took the canister off my 78 before i got it and plugged the line. It caused pressure to build and would leak from just in front of the tank where rubber line connects to the hard line off the tank. this was with the factory cap, a vented one may have cured this. I unplugged the line (bolt in the end) and no more leak but i do once in awhile get vapors from it and now with it open it is a pain to start after sitting for a few days. All the fuel seems to return to the tank and unless i plug the vent line or prime the carb it can be near impossible to start. If its run daily this is not an issue though.
Might be more than one problem there but i also noticed after unplugging the vent line i had to adjust the mixture screws on the carb, it stumbled on take off after unplugging it till i adjusted it.
Just noticed this is an older thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor