EL CAMINO White lightning our 81 street/strip car

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
IMG_3547.jpeg

Busted out the ol ring groove cleaner and spent the evening cleaning up the piston, they will get one more finish clean before getting put in
IMG_3544.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Nice. I've moved my piston groove cleaner out of the way more often than I've used it.

Reactions: 1 user

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
Nice. I've moved my piston groove cleaner out of the way more often than I've used it.
Mine has hung on the wall for the last 15ish years that way I don’t have to move it constantly 🤣

Might actually find a spot in the little tool box I have dedicated to tools/specialty tool that don’t have a case/home that aren’t used much
IMG_3484.jpeg

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
Have you looked at the Summit hypereutectic pistons?

SUM-17351C-00​

I have along with a lot of other parts. I am doing what the budget allows for at this time. This will not be the final form of this engine.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I have along with a lot of other parts. I am doing what the budget allows for at this time. This will not be the final form of this engine.
Just saw them as a cheap upgrade without the dish to raise compression a little over reusing what you have. I had a set in my 350 when I got it. I would use them again in a street rebuild. My advice don't get crazy in it. I will be the first to admit, as a bracket racer I upgraded myself to where it became too expensive to maintain. I wish I had gotten to the upper 10's and stayed there.

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
Just saw them as a cheap upgrade without the dish to raise compression a little over reusing what you have. I had a set in my 350 when I got it. I would use them again in a street rebuild. My advice don't get crazy in it. I will be the first to admit, as a bracket racer I upgraded myself to where it became too expensive to maintain. I wish I had gotten to the upper 10's and stayed there.
I don’t remember what happened to the stock heads I got with this motor but they are long gone,

Goin old school I have a set of 416 heads that are going on there for now. Which will bring the compression up significantly, Yeah small valves and runner but he’s 14 no need to get nuts and end up having the car too fast

eventually it will get a set of nice aluminum heads, been eyeing up a couple of the top end kits but the budget doesnt allow for that at this time

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
Cleaned up the crank tonight

Quick hand polish

Before
IMG_3515.jpeg

After
IMG_3558.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
Cleaning cleaning and more cleaning, got the short block reassembled, new bearing, rings, plastiguaged it and clearances are money!
IMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_3568.jpeg

Ran through the heads, unshrouded the valves some did some casting clean up, not really talented enough to port them so only really just cleaned things up. Lapped the valves, got valve train cleaned up
IMG_3623.jpeg
IMG_3627.jpeg

Got my cam ordered just a little guy right now. I know these heads can’t handle much lift

Summit 1102
Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 278/288, Lift .421/.444

Decided to go with some roller tip stamped 1.5 rockers figured a nice little upgrade from the 40 year old stock ones

New aluminum intake
IMG_3634.jpeg

Picked up a set of flowtech afterburner headers for $60 off market place, funny looking but did some reading and sounds like they fit great, guess we will find out.
IMG_3638.jpeg

Getting pumped, I am a little gitty, can’t wait to slam it together and get this moving! Just gatta measure pushrods and get those comming and all the nickel and dime shet that add up quick

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
Getting close, nickle and dime things to come, irritated with myself misplaced the cam gear bolts so I couldn’t get pushrod length today but got some comming

had to set the intake on and loosely put the headers on to see it together
IMG_3641.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor