You 700r4 Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Alright guys I have a slight problem since I went to the track. While at the track I had a very small transmission drip at the line that is due to my flexible dipstick tube. Is there a steel tube, non flexible, dipstick out there designed for tall valve covers? I have tall aluminum fabbed valve covers that prevented me from using the stock dipstick that originally reached over the valve cover.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
i have a stock tube on my 383 and i am running tall valve covers. It mounts to on of the bell housing bolts.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
It is possible to slightly bend the stock one a little straighter to make it work, I did this in my old 1980 Cutlass with a 355 and 700R4. On my SS I purchased a dipstick tube from Bowtieoverdrives.com and it fits perfect with no interference.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I used a tci locking dipstick. It clears my tall chrome proform valve covers with no problem. It also mounts to the bellhousing bolt. I was a little disgruntled about the flimsy dipstick portion, they definitely could have made it stronger...like stock one.
They hint that they are not meant for vehicles with minimal bellhousing to firewall clearance though
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-743865/?rtype=10
TCI-743865.jpg

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
crotchss said:
It is possible to slightly bend the stock one a little straighter to make it work, I did this in my old 1980 Cutlass with a 355 and 700R4. On my SS I purchased a dipstick tube from Bowtieoverdrives.com and it fits perfect with no interference.
I slightly bent my stock one to clear the valve cover.

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
I used a dip stick from a full size truck which was taller and I slightly bent the tube to fit. It was a bit tight to get it to wiggle in

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Don't forget to use a GOOD rubber gasket for the bottom of the dipstick! I don't know how many of those leakers I've had to fix for people...

I'd also go with the longer truck piece and some bending..

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
went for the caprice 4l60E dipstick , fits nice , no mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor