Gbody LS Swap Info

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I'm in the early stages of 5.3/6L80e swap. How do I make the shifter work? I wanted to get a nicer holley aftermarket shifter but none of them seem to be explicitly 6 speed

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I'm in the early stages of 5.3/6L80e swap. How do I make the shifter work? I wanted to get a nicer holley aftermarket shifter but none of them seem to be explicitly 6 speed
I would love to do a 6speed auto.

Since I'm using a 4-speed with a 3-speed detent rooster comb (column shifter), I rely on 'feel' of the transmission detents other than PRNO (feel to put in D, L, 1).

I think you could get a floor shifter for a 4-speed auto, align the gates with the transmission detents for PRNOD, and forget about the lower gears, unless you can over-travel the floor shifter to get L,2 and 1.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I would love to do a 6speed auto.

Since I'm using a 4-speed with a 3-speed detent rooster comb (column shifter), I rely on 'feel' of the transmission detents other than PRNO (feel to put in D, L, 1).

I think you could get a floor shifter for a 4-speed auto, align the gates with the transmission detents for PRNOD, and forget about the lower gears, unless you can over-travel the floor shifter to get L,2 and 1.
1713648332319.png

I was thinking of using one of these, most likely the camaro/firebird kit so I can use the better looking console too. These shifters have a ratchet function so I'm not sure if that would affect anything

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m not a 6L80 officiado so ……. If you were using a normal 2,3 or 4 speed, then be aware that the shifters made for them move the cable the appropriate amount to move the shift lever to the correct position. I think it will take a fair amount of engineering to get a 4 speed shifter to work with a 6 speed. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it will be difficult.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a 6 speed for a hot street car considering a 4 speed with with a lockup converter is basically a 5 speed. And the ultra low 1st gear just isn’t needed in a car. My $.02, but I understand why people use them as well.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I’m not a 6L80 officiado so ……. If you were using a normal 2,3 or 4 speed, then be aware that the shifters made for them move the cable the appropriate amount to move the shift lever to the correct position. I think it will take a fair amount of engineering to get a 4 speed shifter to work with a 6 speed. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it will be difficult.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a 6 speed for a hot street car considering a 4 speed with with a lockup converter is basically a 5 speed. And the ultra low 1st gear just isn’t needed in a car. My $.02, but I understand why people use them as well.
Gotcha. I figured I’d have an issue with this but fortunately I have a friend who went to a mechanic school for college so hopefully he can help.
I’m pretty sure every 6l80 worked with a column shifter :/

87CutlassSupremeBrougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2024
So my 3.8 v6 just blew and I am deciding what to do. I can get a relatively cheap ls 6.0, but the computer is DBW. I do have a DBW pedal sitting here already, but am a little concerned with the difficulty level of mounting the pedal, but more so just the difficulty of doing all the ECU wiring. Realistically how difficult is it to install the ECU? I am a novice mechanic, but think I am smart enough to figure things out. My other idea was to run the LS with a carb. But I am trying to be budget conscious and with the cost of manifold, carb and ignition box it will add around $1200 or more to the project. Otherwise I could just get a SBC350 but they seem to cost more than a takeout LS.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Gotcha. I figured I’d have an issue with this but fortunately I have a friend who went to a mechanic school for college so hopefully he can help.
I’m pretty sure every 6l80 worked with a column shifter :/
They did but it was by moving the lever into 'D' & the electronics (engine/trans computer) doing the shifting vs being able to manually select a gear like a 2-4 speed auto.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So my 3.8 v6 just blew and I am deciding what to do. I can get a relatively cheap ls 6.0, but the computer is DBW. I do have a DBW pedal sitting here already, but am a little concerned with the difficulty level of mounting the pedal, but more so just the difficulty of doing all the ECU wiring. Realistically how difficult is it to install the ECU? I am a novice mechanic, but think I am smart enough to figure things out. My other idea was to run the LS with a carb. But I am trying to be budget conscious and with the cost of manifold, carb and ignition box it will add around $1200 or more to the project. Otherwise I could just get a SBC350 but they seem to cost more than a takeout LS.
Don't do ANYTHING at the moment. You have quite a bit of research, and then decisions to make first.

There pros and cons to fuel injection, and to carb. What transmission will you be running? How will you be mounting the engine? Buying a Holley kit, ICT adapter plates, making your own, etc. What about the cooling system? If you go into this with no plan, you WILL be bit and spend more money and most likely buy some parts twice. Start reading, thej read some more. Then make a plan. Then read more. If you want easy, open up your checkbook and buy everything Holley and bolt it all together. If that's the case, plan on well over 7500 just in parts not including the engine.

Reactions: 1 user

87CutlassSupremeBrougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2024
Don't do ANYTHING at the moment. You have quite a bit of research, and then decisions to make first.

There pros and cons to fuel injection, and to carb. What transmission will you be running? How will you be mounting the engine? Buying a Holley kit, ICT adapter plates, making your own, etc. What about the cooling system? If you go into this with no plan, you WILL be bit and spend more money and most likely buy some parts twice. Start reading, thej read some more. Then make a plan. Then read more. If you want easy, open up your checkbook and buy everything Holley and bolt it all together. If that's the case, plan on well over 7500 just in parts not including the engine.

I’m not going to rush into anything, The v6 just blew this morning. I am mainly trying to have the most cost effective swap, don’t care much about performance. This isn’t my main project car, I just want to get it running again. I was going to look for a cheap th350 trans to go with it. I don’t mind spending some money. I can handle most of the work but I generally don’t like wiring. How complicated is it to install the gm ecu that would come with the motor? My options are fully dressed LS with ecu for $2500. Crate SBC350 fully dressed for $5000-6500. Or sell/trade the car as is, but I would rather get it running and keep it for a while. Wouldn’t both a LS and SBC require the same new parts to go with it like starter, radiator, mounts etc?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
No. With a sbc you could keep your cooling system, alternator, and a fuel system. That would be the easiest, and cheapest swap by far. You can use a factory ecm for the LS, but if you don't like wiring or aren't good at it, you're going to have some $ tied up in an aftermarket harness and retuned ecm. If you go aftermarket ecm, like the Holley Terminator system, you'll still spend $1500 or so just for that.

Your pricing seems off to me for the LS fully dressed and the sbc fully dressed. I'm assuming you're comparing a used LS pull out motor with accessories to a rebuilt sbc with new accessories?

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor