10% Ethanol gas mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
Anyone heard of any issues with this stuff??

I have been doing some reading and some articles say you lose up to 20% mileage when using it and it also goes bad ALOT quicker than the normal stuff. I have been noticing lately my mileage has been really shitty not only in my SS but in my 08 Impala also, and the place i have been filling up clearly says on the pump up to 10% ethanol. So needless to say i have switched from that station to another that does not use it. Curious to get some opinions.

Sounds more like your reading about e-85. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the other station you switched to also has e-10 in the pumps.

I hate the ethanol blends. I've posted about them before. The fuel deteriorates quickly if you use it in cars that are not driven daily. If you have a station that serves plain gasoline, I'd go with that instead.

jrm81bu said:
Sounds more like your reading about e-85. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the other station you switched to also has e-10 in the pumps.

No it was an article on the blended fuels. I will see if i can find it. And in MS it is law that the pump must be clearly labeled if the gasoline is a mix with ethanol. No sticker No ethanol.

I would have to think that e-85 is still a blended fuel, just a different percentage. When switching from regular to e-85, you run the chance of your fuel mileage dropping up to 30% because the ethanol doesn't offer the same btu output that gas does. With just 10% ethanol you really shouldn't notice much of a change.
As far as the pumps being labeled, I don't know for sure. It was rumored that they were putting in the 10% ethanol a lot longer than people know and that most of the midwest pumps have it in there. But I don't know how true that is.

jrm81bu said:
I would have to think that e-85 is still a blended fuel, just a different percentage. When switching from regular to e-85, you run the chance of your fuel mileage dropping up to 30% because the ethanol doesn't offer the same btu output that gas does. With just 10% ethanol you really shouldn't notice much of a change.
As far as the pumps being labeled, I don't know for sure. It was rumored that they were putting in the 10% ethanol a lot longer than people know and that most of the midwest pumps have it in there. But I don't know how true that is.

E85 is blended 85% ethanol 15% gas- Like i said in MS and several other states it is required by law to label the pumps if more then 1% ethanol is being mixed. It also states that when using E10 E25 or E85 to keep your tanks full, it has less of a chance of an air mixture to create water in your gas. Which might help explain why i have so much moisture coming out my exhaust and no mechanical issues in my drive train. NO leaks of any sort but mucho moisture. SO today i filled up with a non ethanol mix and added some sta bil to help clean up what is left in there. I will see in the next couple days if i still have alot of moisture and the same poor mileage.

The 30% more fuel for E85 is about right.

My 2008 GMC Sierra has the flex fuel engine in it and I tried the E85 for a while. Mainly because it was nice not having to wait at the pump for other people. 🙂

According to my dash readout for the MPG's, on straight gasoline I was averaging 18-19mpg. With E85 it would drop to 12-14mpg.

I noticed years ago that my '98 Intrigue would go through spells in which it seemed like the fuel mileage would really drop. It always seemed to be during the season changes. Sometime in September/October then again in Janurary/February and then again come April/May. I always attributed the decrease in Jan/Feb to letting the car idle more to get warm before leaving for work/home.
But the other two I've always believed it had to do with the stations switching over from their winter blend and summer blend fuels.

jrm81bu said:

BTU Rating? wouldn't it be octane rating? i mean you want higher combustion rating than heat, right?

85montemj said:
jrm81bu said:

BTU Rating? wouldn't it be octane rating? i mean you want higher combustion rating than heat, right?

Using the BTU's of gas vs. ethanol shows that ehtanol doesn't have the same "energy" output that gas does for the same amount being burned. All that means is to get equal amounts of energy you will have to burn more ethanol.

bowtietillidie85SS said:
jrm81bu said:

E85 is blended 85% ethanol 15% gas- Like i said in MS and several other states it is required by law to label the pumps if more then 1% ethanol is being mixed. It also states that when using E10 E25 or E85 to keep your tanks full, it has less of a chance of an air mixture to create water in your gas. Which might help explain why i have so much moisture coming out my exhaust and no mechanical issues in my drive train. NO leaks of any sort but mucho moisture. SO today i filled up with a non ethanol mix and added some sta bil to help clean up what is left in there. I will see in the next couple days if i still have alot of moisture and the same poor mileage.

I'm not trying to argue about this, just throwing out there my opinion. There is a LOT of misinformation out there and sorting through myth vs. fact can get to be a pain. The ethanol can absorb moisture but I really don't think that a 10% blend could absorb enough to cause excess moisture out your exhaust. Especially on a daily driver. I fit had that much water in it, I don't think it would run. And the guys running 85% would have what looks like a garden hose coming out the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor