10% Ethanol gas mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
FE3X CLONE said:
Good point. Really, all that would technically happen is that the engine would be down on power but the fuel consumption should stay the same.

The reason my GMC gets worse gas mileage on E85 than regular gasoline is due to the fact that the computer actually alters the programming and air fuel ratio to use the E85 properly.

With gasoline, the ideal Air/fuel mixture is 14.7:1 but with ethanol it's closer to 9.0:1 to get the same amount of power.

The other issue with ethanol, as mentioned, is that it does draw moisture. So you really have to be careful with it in an older car that may not got driven daily or has a steel gas tank. Most newer gas tanks are plastic and help fight condensation.

On top of that, those who have had clogging issues, did you reuse ANY part of your old fuel system? Or was everything including the fuel lines, fuel tank, etc. brand new? The other thing ethanol does is that it keeps the inside of the engine spotless. Maybe running the ethanol through older lines, tanks, etc. just dislodged old crud?

Exactly. And I don't really care about the "green" properties of ethanol, but it in larger amounts there is plenty of performance gains to be had.
And every off the shelf octane booster is a bunch of bs period.

there is nothing in the %10 ethanol mix but ethanol. but the big drawback on using anything more than the 10% mix will start to degrade the rubber components therefore resulting in clogged injectors and everything else. to remedy this you need to start up0grading to alcohol freindly compontents.

dont get mad. research ethanol and what you need do replace so it is compatable with what you have

also ethanol is a organic mix made from corn mash it will go bad quicker due to the fact it will decompose
methanol on the other hand is a wood based alcohol

Low percentage ethanol wont eat rubber componants. E85 in a car with origional 1984 or whatever fuel lines will clean out the junk out of the lines, hence the gunk everywhere. Is it as mild as water? No, but if E10 rots your fuel lines its time to replace them anyways. Its not as strong as carb cleaner either. It doesnt rot rubber, it just pulls everything out of your tank and lines. And like I say, if it causes a problem, its best just to get a new tank or lines.

When leaded gas was phased out, you were going to melt your heads on your engine. Theres no way around it. But how many people "melted their heads" Very few. Same goes for E10. Just becasue someone blames it on their problems doesnt mean it caused it, and that doesnt mean it will happen to you.

Assume you loose 30% milage for E100 over normal, E10 would make you loose 3%. At 25 MPG you loose .75 MPG, for a total of 24.25. If your milage goes down any more than that, look for something else. Its not possible in the numbers.

Just my thoughts.

wow, good info guys,

giving me new perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor