10% Ethanol gas mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
any and all alchohal will draw moisture. the reason why you gas mileage has gone bad is because ethonal and methonal burn and 1 1/2 times the rate of gasoline. the other issue that the e 10 has is it releases the built up varnish on the inside of our 20 or more year old gas tanks cloggin fuel filters messing up carbs and sticking injectors.

M.Bailey said:
any and all alchohal will draw moisture. the reason why you gas mileage has gone bad is because ethonal and methonal burn and 1 1/2 times the rate of gasoline. the other issue that the e 10 has is it releases the built up varnish on the inside of our 20 or more year old gas tanks cloggin fuel filters messing up carbs and sticking injectors.

It's not the burn rate that will cause poor gas mileage. The slower burn rate of ehtanol increases the octane rating, allowing higher compression. The poor milage is from less heat output per the same amount of fuel being burned thus require more fuel. At only 10% ethanol the mileage really shouldn't noticebly suffer.

I work at a gas station in Oregon and unfortunately for the entire state, in 2007 the dumb *ss governor mandated 10% ethanol at all gas stations and all grades of gasoline year round. It use to be just from November to March. I've noticed a drop in fuel mileage on my 76 Monte Carlo because of it.

I won't say that any of you haven't lost mileage but you shouldn't lose it based solely on the fuel having 10% ethanol. In order to run e-85 you have to richen you a/f mixture a lot, that's where the loss in economy comes from. You shouldn't have to richen your mixture to run e-10, there just isn't enough ethanol in there to require it. It's not just changing gas that makes the mileage bad, it's the rejetting to compensate for it that does. If you haven't messed with the carb, it won't just start dumping more gas in.

The sunoco where i go has 10% ethanol mix,needless to say i've also seen a slight drop in economy.What is the purpose of mixing this crap when this mixed gas is still as expensive as the regular stuff the next station down?It doesnt help fuel economy, in fact it makes it worse and it sure as hell dont help the emissions either.

Ok, then can anyone that has lost fuel economy just because of getting gas at a station that has 10% ethanol mixed in, tell me how exactly this ethanol will allow more fuel to pass through the same jets in the carb?

10% ethanol blend clogged my fuel filters, my fuel rails, and all 8 injectors in my EFI for my 555 big block crate motor. The fuel sat in there for a few months after first start, and since then it has been a major pain in the *ss, many lost days of productivity, time and money, lots of money lost. Car still has ZERO miles on it and I've only now got the thing running again but not as good as it was before. Ethanol blend has nothing but drawbacks. It's so stupid. It's gay. It pisses me off big time. In fact, the more I think about it, the more angry I get. I'm sick of this sh*t. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

454muscle said:
10% ethanol blend clogged my fuel filters, my fuel rails, and all 8 injectors in my EFI for my 555 big block crate motor. The fuel sat in there for a few months after first start, and since then it has been a major pain in the *ss, many lost days of productivity, time and money, lots of money lost. Car still has ZERO miles on it and I've only now got the thing running again but not as good as it was before. Ethanol blend has nothing but drawbacks. It's so stupid. It's gay. It pisses me off big time. In fact, the more I think about it, the more angry I get. I'm sick of this sh*t. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now with everything else new in your car, wouldn't you have put in a new tank also? If so then how did it clog your fuel system? If it's all new therre wouldn't be any "gunk" in the system for the fuel to break loose. I'd say the problem would be more with it just sitting for a few months. This summer was the first time i've had any problem starting my car after winter and I never put in any Stabil. All I had to do was pump out the old ga sand put in new and it fired right up.
As far as benifits, no there isn't a lot with just 10%. It is a renewable fuel and contrary to some beliefs it burns cleaner. Now if you go to 85% then ya there is some big benefits, think 105 octane pump gas that is cheaper than 87 octane.
Some might find this interesting, http://www.e85performance.net/forums/

I am quite particular about what fuel I use in my GP,

up in Ottawa Canada, only Shell still does not blend ethenol in their gas. Every other station, has atleast 10%

It cloggs my fuel lines, filters, and jets. And it destroys my already poor fuel economy, and makes the car run like garbage.

Up here, the highest octain fuel is found at Sunoco, at 94 octane. And thru some research, I've found that they use additives to get it to 94 octane. I try to avoid these also... I only use 91 Shell gas.
I've tried running 87 which booster, but the car doesn't like that either. The only time booster works is ontop of 91 Shell

So until I move somewhere else, I am stuck driving 6km to the only local Shell station in my area...

PS: I would go on about how I feel about this whole "green" movement, but I'm sure many of you don't want to be stuck reading for the next few days.

jrm81bu said:
I won't say that any of you haven't lost mileage but you shouldn't lose it based solely on the fuel having 10% ethanol. In order to run e-85 you have to richen you a/f mixture a lot, that's where the loss in economy comes from. You shouldn't have to richen your mixture to run e-10, there just isn't enough ethanol in there to require it. It's not just changing gas that makes the mileage bad, it's the rejetting to compensate for it that does. If you haven't messed with the carb, it won't just start dumping more gas in.

Good point. Really, all that would technically happen is that the engine would be down on power but the fuel consumption should stay the same.

The reason my GMC gets worse gas mileage on E85 than regular gasoline is due to the fact that the computer actually alters the programming and air fuel ratio to use the E85 properly.

With gasoline, the ideal Air/fuel mixture is 14.7:1 but with ethanol it's closer to 9.0:1 to get the same amount of power.

The other issue with ethanol, as mentioned, is that it does draw moisture. So you really have to be careful with it in an older car that may not got driven daily or has a steel gas tank. Most newer gas tanks are plastic and help fight condensation.

On top of that, those who have had clogging issues, did you reuse ANY part of your old fuel system? Or was everything including the fuel lines, fuel tank, etc. brand new? The other thing ethanol does is that it keeps the inside of the engine spotless. Maybe running the ethanol through older lines, tanks, etc. just dislodged old crud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor