15" rally's vs. 18" rim of your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
I'm not sure if these pictures will post, but can someone give me some information on these wheels? I believe they are Monte Carlo wheels, but that's about all I know. Can someone fill in the gaps?

I'm not 100% sure that I want these Monte Carlo wheels on a 1979 Cutlass t-top body. I really prefer 15" Olds rallye SSII wheels.

A. What are the details on these Monte Carlo wheels?

B. Would it be wise to trade these for a set of Olds SSII rallye wheels?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 440
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 422

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Thanks for helping me narrow the year down. I actually tried to sell them on Craiglist once before but I didn't generate any feedback in the Birmingham, AL area. The wheels are in mint condition, but I agree with you, they don't work well with my Calais. I may try posting them on this forum or ebay. I wouldn't even mind trading them for an Olds SSII set that's in similar condition.
Thanks for the follow-up

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
I've decided I'm going with 15x8 rally's on back and 15x7 on front. Thinking either 275 or 255 -60 out back with 235x60 in front(bfg radial ta's).... I'm going to buy the hotchkis lowered spring 1" back, 2" in front. 4" back spacing back, 3.5 front on rims... Anyone with close enough pics of this setup? I'd like a slight rake. Thanks.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I think you'll need a little less BS in the rear. I had 15x8's with 275/60-15 on the Bonne with 4" rim BS and a 1/4" spacer to bring it to 3.75 BS. They still rubbed; not so bad at first, but as the springs settled (Eibach Pro-kit with 1" spacer), it got worse. I eventually ditched them for the S-10 Xtreme wheels on it now. The fronts were 15x7's with 225/60-15's- same BS and spacer.
Before:
20140428_172919_zpsqixdr4hz.jpg

After:
20140726_200440_zpsrruqlr7y.jpg

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Pharozen said:
I'm not sure if these pictures will post, but can someone give me some information on these wheels? I believe they are Monte Carlo wheels, but that's about all I know. Can someone fill in the gaps?

I'm not 100% sure that I want these Monte Carlo wheels on a 1979 Cutlass t-top body. I really prefer 15" Olds rallye SSII wheels.

A. What are the details on these Monte Carlo wheels?

B. Would it be wise to trade these for a set of Olds SSII rallye wheels?

the OP is working with a 78 Monte so those 85-88 MCSS wheels will work perfect. I run those same wheels and raised white letter 235/60/15 all around on my 84 MCSS. They clear my brakes as well ( blazer front & ls1 rear ) whereas the orig MCSS 84 steelies would not. Nor would the olds 442 or steel GN wheels. Oh and BTW my vote is for the orig 15" gm wheels instead of aftermarket

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Well I tried it both ways and I just got ralley wheels on the 'new' cutlass pics coming soon. Now I have 1 w 17 and one w/ just ralley wheels. I think it really depends where you live Chicago is not conducive to big rims because of all the parallel parking and potholes that seem to come out of left field; and the traffic is horrible so you end up using the breaks more often than someone from a rural area. It's a whole different ballgame in terms of driving and for a daily driver I can already tell the Ralley wheels are going to ride better once I get these new rear shocks in place on the 85... I think I'll go w/ the moog springs. I do like the 17's ride better for interstate driving though b/c they seem to carry more momentum - but as soon as you try to stop fast in a bad situation the stock breaks just feel kind of scary to me idk. To give an analogy, they feel like a fat guy trying to play basketball; they're trying too hard and they are not very good and always telling you how they used to be slightly better than they are now and you can smell the heat coming off of them everytime you stop. Perfect analogy. Score

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Agreed,,, have 18 and 17 on my chevelle.. Look sweet and stops nice, turning radius? Fire trucks turn around faster!!!

Looking forward to the extra rubber around here being it's going to be a daily beast... I'll try to get some pics up... Anyone know how to transfer pics from a phone or iPad?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Tapatalk app is what most people use. I just send them directly to my email and upload them to tinypic.com but it takes a lot longer than tapatalk app. I only do it that way so I can post the item at multiple locations or refer back to the img link in a chat convo if I want to. Your ralleys will probably look better than mine. A mint set of SSII's was right next to the ones I got but the guy wanted $350 and his tires were kind of old so I copped the 14 inch chevrolet ralleys b/c 2 of the tires looked vgc (replaced the other 2 already) and I'm just going to run them w/ no center caps unless I come into some decent olds. Only 2 beauty ring was missing. I did have a stack of 3 14inch tires I got last minute at a garage sale for just $10 but I felt bad for this really poor guy nearby that mows lawns and gave him 2 of the 14's for his landscaping van b/c his tires looked pathetic as all hell w/ wires coming out I was like hell naw lol. I am sure I will totally regret that move in the not so distant future though.. that was the first set of used 14's I had seen in a very long time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor