160 MPH in the 78 Grand Am

Status
Not open for further replies.

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
My Grand Am has a cammed 400, #670 GTO heads, headers, etc. Normally we 1/4 mile race it locally and run mid 12's. I had blown the rear end and temporarily stuck in the easiest thing I could find in the junkyard- a horrible 2.29:1 rear end. That totally took all the fun out of having a quick car with a big block...or did it? I hadn't driven it in months, then took it out for a punch ride to bring a friend home. Part of the trip is on an extremely long deserted road with noone around for miles.

I had decided to show him how 1rst gear goes to almost 75 mph when winding the engine to 5800 rpm, then decided to go for second since it still had gobbs of power, 2nd winds to around 130 mph, then 3rd. Then since it was clearly accelerating with no problem I let it keep winding up. Before I realized it the telephone poles turned into what looked like a picket fence and I decided that was enough when we just about hit 160 mph.

The car handled amazingly smooth. I held my lane without it feeling loose, very good road feel. The only problem was that at 150 mph the drivers window popped out about 1/2 inch at the very top where the rubber tab at the top usually holds it in position. Sometimes the window does that and you have to open it a little and then close it. That freaked me out a little bit at that speed, nothing else happened though.

Now that I've done it... probably never do it again. Well... actually did it one other time in the 350Z but the governor shut me down at 159, ok now never again Lol.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
which speedo gear is in the transmission? if its not the proper one for 2.29s and your tire size, your speedo was off, probabaly by alot.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
But off in the other direction though lol. Going from 3.73's to 2.29's would make it read low not high.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what upgrades have you done to your suspension?...G bodies are known to get loose at high speeds with the air getting rammed underneath the car and lifting it

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
First and most important, no self respecting Pontiac guy will refer to any PONTIAC engine a big block. :roll: :D

I agree with the others about your MPH being off.

Like pontiacgp said at those speeds you will be floating all over unless you have done some front end air management and suspension work.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Both my Regal & my Cutlass got floaty around 140/145 and they both had factory front lower air dams as well as decent shocks the stiffer GN/442 springs and new poly end links. Although with especially a better front lower air dam and or lowering the car stability at 160 is certainly attainable. I am not negating your claim just saying in general and from my experience. Fun stuff to hear people talk about as you don't get to hear it talked about often as most of us don't have the power or road to test it out. :)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
400 + 2:29 = top end unlimited. :D You're lucky you have a place to do that.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Nice run man :p

I was in a '98 WS6 and we went like 155 and that was definitely scary, fun but scary aswell

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a friend of mine regularly drives his truck over 180 mph.......

in the Nascar camping world series... 8)

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what rear was in the car? (or rather what speedo gear do you have?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor