BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I did not know that. A friend with a 1977 TA has 3:73 gears and hates them. He is determined to put an overdrive trans in. He keeps saying the TKO, but I know that requires a lot of added hardware. I'll have to investigate the TKX. Thanks for that info Joe!

TKX is also a service replacement for the TKO, it's certainly an evolution of it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wowsers, what a transmission. Looks like there is a GM and Ford specific version. The bell housing bolt pattern looks correct for us. Ultra smooth and stronger too.
1707701941842.png
These are the available ratios for GM. https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=184

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Just an update on the sheet metal situation. There was just a thread on the Buick GS Facebook page about the lack of any aftermarket quarters for the 64-65 Skylarks. Apparently the Wolf Steel panels fit like absolute garbage. I'm not surprised being they are hand formed, but for what they cost, I know I'm definitely not going that route.

I still have one more lead to chase down before I subcontract these to Rktpwrd. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: 9 users
Nov 4, 2012
Update time. Chased leads that lead to dead ends, talked with Rktpwrd, chased more leads, felt like there wasn't a great option so I walked away from it for a bit.

Eventually determined the best solution was to take a chance on the Wolf Steel panels and try to make them work. Ordered them a week or so ago and got them today.
20240424_182345.jpg

Initial impressions... aren't great. They aren't rolled enough. The side of the body is curved and the panels are flat. The smaller patch isn't too awful bad, but the wheel arch is not great.
20240424_200145.jpg

20240424_200240.jpg

20240424_200351.jpg

At any rate, I have them here, and I think they are workable. Still better than anything I could fab myself. Hopefully once I cut it down to size and get the old metal cut out, I'll be able to shape them a bit more to fit. Might not be able to do a super clean butt-weld patch, may have to lap them. Not a disaster because its all below the belt molding, so it won't be hard to mud it in.

Stay tuned.

• Sad
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 10 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were sourced from either Brazil or Argentina. A lot of the old dead stamping dies were sent down there by GM at one point or another in the past. You don't get the sharp edges and accurate curves that the new dies would produce but South America seems not to mind.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were sourced from either Brazil or Argentina. A lot of the old dead stamping dies were sent down there by GM at one point or another in the past. You don't get the sharp edges and accurate curves that the new dies would produce but South America seems not to mind.

Nick
Didn't they have some that went to Cuba at some point?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor