BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

Nov 4, 2012
Update time. Weather has been unseasonably warm and I've been itching to work on the car. I've been fighting a cold all week but it was too nice today to not be in the garage. Decided to strip the paint around the passenger side wheel arch to see how bad it is. It's about what I expected.
20240209_173354.jpg

To be honest, I've fiberglassed over worse, but I'm trying to avoid that route on this car.

Unfortunately the only place that seems to reproduce the quarter panels is a shop in Quebec that I've never heard of. They cost $450 I can't imagine international shipping of an oversized part would be any cheaper. It's not even a full quarter and doesn't look super high quality based on the only online picture they provide.
sky05L.jpg

But at a minimum, there are two sections, circled in red, that have to be cut out and replaced, the rest could be fiberglassed. I'd really prefer to replace the whole thing though.
20240209_173354~2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A lot of times on older stuff, the fenders share the same profile. Maybe there are some rough fenders that aren't worth fixing but have decent wheel arch areas to cut up?

I know, these are long past common, but you never know what somebody has laying around...

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those half quarters might be hand formed. Years back I had a shop order a set like those for a '67 Plymouth Belvedere. They were returned & the shop boss went with used south west quarters. The fit was really bad during the test fit as lines & contours wouldn't line up or match.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Those half quarters might be hand formed. Years back I had a shop order a set like those for a '67 Plymouth Belvedere. They were returned & the shop boss went with used south west quarters. The fit was really bad during the test fit as lines & contours wouldn't line up or match.

Hit up Ugly1 , he's there now running down rot free AZ steel.

Nov 4, 2012
Cheaper to just fly Rktpwrd down.
He might have to fly coach, but he'd be well fed when he got here.
A lot of times on older stuff, the fenders share the same profile. Maybe there are some rough fenders that aren't worth fixing but have decent wheel arch areas to cut up?

I know, these are long past common, but you never know what somebody has laying around...
I was thinking the same thing. I looked at some of the other A-bodies to see if they were similar. The Chevelle is sort of similar and there is an patch panel made for it that only costs about $50. I might be able to cut individual patches out of it or reshape it to work.
s-l1200.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
I think they are hand formed. If it was $200, I'd take a shot on it, but at $450 plus international shipping... I'll pass.
Hit up Ugly1 , he's there now running down rot free AZ steel.
Paging Ugly1!

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I think they are hand formed. If it was $200, I'd take a shot on it, but at $450 plus international shipping... I'll pass.

Paging Ugly1!

He's down there doing God's work for himself, let's see how sympathetic an ear he has to his fellow rust belt man!

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Joe, take a look around the georgia area as well. Anything from Georgia, or, along SC, i26/i95 interchange, thru i26/i77 interchange, through NC through i77/i81 interchange, thru VA/WV/MD up to PA along the highway corridor I'd be happy to pick up assuming it fits in the yukon xl, and get into PA for you.

I just got home from oncology in New England tonight, but, I'm headed back to New England first week of March as of now.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor