BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

Okay, so slight change of plans...

Was talking with my uncle about my compressor plans, and he offered to let me borrow his portable diesel compressor that he has for his commercial plumbing company. I was a bit hesitant as I generally don't like to borrow tools, especially tools that other people rely on to make money. I told him I may need it for a while, but he insisted he almost never uses it and I could borrow it as much as I'd like for as long as I'd like. I decided to give it a shot considering how much money it might save me, and if it didn't work out, I'd return it and go back back to plan A.

Today I went to his shop to pick it up, and based on how much dust was on it, how flat the tires were, and how dead the battery was, I feel a bit more comfortable about borrowing it. He fueled it up for me, and we aired up the tires, but with the dead battery, I didn't get to see it run at his shop.
20241009_143222.jpg

Once I got it home, I hosed the dust off and put a jump pack on it, but it still didn't have enough juice to crank. So I pulled the battery out, saw it was dated 2011, and decided I'd just go buy a new one for it. $150 later, I installed the new battery, and it fired right up.
20241009_151614.jpg

20241009_192121.jpg

It has Chicago couplings on it, so I made an adapter to run regular 3/8 industrial quick connects. I hooked up the sandblaster for a minute just to test it and yeah, this thing puts out a lot of air. It is rated at 175 CFM. It only makes 90PSI, which is still enough, but the volume is insane. It's not very loud either, which is nice.
20241009_192157.jpg

I do have to figure out some sort of water separator as I am getting water through the lines. There is a very old-looking two-stage filter in the tool pocket that I have yet to hook up, so I'll try utilizing that first. I could also run the line to my water filter/regulator in the garage, then out to the sandblaster and see how that works too.

Anyways, we have air!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor