1970 Olds Cutlass S Rat Rod Style

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I pulled down the knocking 350, it spun the #1 rod bearing. I kept the block and main caps, the rest is trash. The 204/214 cam still looks great and the lifters easily came out. I installed the cam, straight up on the unknown double roller timing set in the 403 where it was in the 350, since I degreed it. I used the oil pump that was in the 403, a Melling 22F. I cleaned up the already Gold 350 pan, there were a lot of metal in the bottom, lucky the cam survived. I already installed the AMC 252 neoprene rear main, I installed the upgraded Felpro pan gaskets already coated in rubber, just Optimum Black on the lip seals and corners. I put the shields on both motor mounts. Also Felpro timing cover and fuel pump gaskets, both sides lightly coated in Optimum Black along with a new front seal. I decided to put both shields back on the motor mounts and torque them to 80 foot pounds. The flex plate that came with the 403 and balancer back on. The short block will get dropped in tomorrow then the #6 heads and the Performer intake which I stole the restricted heater hose outlet off the #17 307 intake to save the heater core.

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, I have the #6 heads in place, just the final torque down needed. Also the lifters as well, made sure they all turned in the bore. New Anchor 2261 mounts in place, actually fit perfect and the bell housing bolts tightened down. The passenger side Chinese full length header is in place, only needed a slight pry to clear the top of the Wix 51258 and Baldwin oil filter. The driver's side, remember the one with the dent, that is the least of of it's issues. The bottom tube hits the motor mount. I looked at the original ones, they might hit worse. I can remove that header from the car. It needs to move an inch for sure. I gave it a good wack with a 10 pound sledge, nope. I will probably play with a come along on it. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The passenger side fit nearly perfect with these . The frustrating driver's side header will need heat and maybe a big vise to move that tube away from the motor mount. For now, the shorties and the 2.5 X pipe exhaust is going back on. Heads are torqued, valve train back together and torqued, intake on with Optimum Black on the rails and around both sides of the shim side gaskets. Aviation sealant is around the intake ports. Sanderson's are put on with Optimum Grey, since they don't use gaskets. I will work on it little bits to try and get it running by next weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So I took the day off and put everything back in under the hood basically just secure the fans from underneath, torque converter bolts, new Powermaster starter and exhaust. I even threw on a filter and primed the oil system. The 1/2 cordless Ryobi drill was smoking after a couple minutes but I got oil to the rockers. I was surprised by how dark the Lucas Hot Rod oil is.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I got the cooling fan wiring zip tied up. The torque converter bolts are in, new Powermaster mini starter and dust shield on and the exhaust head pipes hooked up. Just the back half of the exhaust and fluids, hook up the battery and Vroom!

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The lack of photographic documentation is concerning.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, I will take pics, too busy trying to get it running. When I drove to get the 403, he was happy someone wanted it. He said nobody wants Olds V8's these days😥, yeah especially the SB, I'm sure it is true. I even saw a 330 half disassembled and couple of 455's for double and triple the $250 403 asking price. I am hoping this 403 runs less than 200 degrees. The Stratus fans with the awesome 80 amp Davies Craig adjustable dual fan controller, Robert Shaw high flow 160 Thermostat, big 2 core with 1 1/8" tube radiator and the Flowkooler reverse rotation water pump should hopefully make a difference. This car runs much cooler than my 88 ever ran, much better air flow.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am just glad to see you are enjoying yourself.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I am just glad to see you are enjoying yourself.
I wish I was, a G Body exculsive🤨. So last night after work, 4 hours spent on it, keep reading....I put together the exhaust and attempted to start it. Nothing, no spark and popped a fuse. I think I had the wrong terminal hooked up off the CS alternator. After unhooking and taping that off, still no spark and not flooded, pretty sure I cooked the Ignitor 3 module in that HEI. I swapped distributors and spark but not even a pop back through the carb. I swapped it 180, still nothing. I have 91 Premium in a spray bottle,maybe a couple of months old, so it should have done something. I installed the the timing chain without the heads on. The key way was in the right the position and lobes were both sideways, both lifters were down, dot to dot like I figured out was fine degreeing it. I have 25 psi cranking oil pressure, so the lifters should be pumped up. Don't know where to go from here. Everything is frustrating these days, now I know how Clutch feels. Here are the requested pics, none of the top, too tempting to set it on fire.
20220706_172445.jpg
20220706_172452.jpg
20220706_172458.jpg

• Sad

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I wish I was, a G Body exculsive🤨. So last night after work, 4 hours spent on it, keep reading....I put together the exhaust and attempted to start it. Nothing, no spark and popped a fuse. I think I had the wrong terminal hooked up off the CS alternator. After unhooking and taping that off, still no spark and not flooded, pretty sure I cooked the Ignitor 3 module in that HEI. I swapped distributors and spark but not even a pop back through the carb. I swapped it 180, still nothing. I have 91 Premium in a spray bottle,maybe a couple of months old, so it should have done something. I installed the the timing chain without the heads on. The key way was in the right the position and lobes were both sideways, both lifters were down, dot to dot like I figured out was fine degreeing it. I have 25 psi cranking oil pressure, so the lifters should be pumped up. Don't know where to go from here. Everything is frustrating these days, now I know how Clutch feels. Here are the requested pics, none of the top, too tempting to set it on fire.
View attachment 202000 View attachment 202001 View attachment 202002
Listen in recent years I've found I can't even pay someone to fix anything for me and sometimes I just need to walk away. Look at the boat I'm in now. I drove a customers car home last night because I don't even have something to drive. My 78 had me so frustrated I was going to scrap them all 78, 87, Lauren's H/O the hole lot of them. The 78 still doesn't run right but I still own it lol if it was easy I'd be able to pay someone to do it. I personally think that cam companies don't make cams to correct spec for olds motors so they need to be put in with a piston stop and a degree wheel that's the first problem second is the people who truly know these motors are all dying off. Sad but harsh reality. Tonight I become a diesel mechanic because locally they suck too. What am I going to do though I need my truck or I'm walking the 20 minute drive to work on the GSP maybe someday I'll find a good mechanic that I can swap body work for until then I'll keep trying to figure it out

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor