1971 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmangham

Apprentice
Dec 11, 2009
Got a lead on a 1971 Riveria. Dont think its a GS. Body is kinda rough, is the 455 motor worth getting?

It's a 455, of course it's worth getting.

I guess I was asking is it a good year for the 455? As far as head design, block casting, etc.

jmangham said:
I guess I was asking is it a good year for the 455? As far as head design, block casting, etc.
Yes it is.
When you rebuild the engine, be sure to raise the compression with some flat top pistons.

foxtrot said:
jmangham said:
Yes it is.
When you rebuild the engine, be sure to raise the compression with some flat top pistons.

Actually, Buicks don't use flat tops (Chevy guys! :roll: ) You want 10:1 pistons (1970). With 71 heads, they will yield about 9.5:1 compression. 71-74 heads are all 71cc. 75-76 are low compression 77cc. You can't use earlier heads without heavy modification as the water jackets were redesigned in 71. TA Performance carries the pistons you want. FYI: all 455s have steel (forged) factory rods and the block is high in nickel. That means, the 455 only weighs 50 or so pounds more than a Small Block Chevy! :banana:

RegalBegal said:
foxtrot said:
jmangham said:
Yes it is.

Actually, Buicks don't use flat tops (Chevy guys! :roll: ) You want 10:1 pistons (1970). With 71 heads, they will yield about 9.5:1 compression. 71-74 heads are all 71cc. 75-76 are low compression 77cc. You can't use earlier heads without heavy modification as the water jackets were redesigned in 71. TA Performance carries the pistons you want. FYI: all 455s have steel (forged) factory rods and the block is high in nickel. That means, the 455 only weighs 50 or so pounds more than a Small Block Chevy! :banana:

I've got flat top pistons in my '70 Buick 455. You are correct about those water jackets in the later model years' heads. I tried using a set of '75 heads on my '70 block and the water kept leaking down into the oil pan.

x2 on the 455 , grab it up . Best hands down imo.... Wouldnt trade mine for any other. Stump pullin torque monster. I run weisco pro tru forged flat tops in mine and love em and it still runs on premium pump gas.464BBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor