1978 Cutlass Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

78Calais

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2008
MN
Looks like you have a nice project on your hands there. Glad to see another one is getting saved by an enthusiast.

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
78Calais said:
Looks like you have a nice project on your hands there. Glad to see another one is getting saved by an enthusiast.

Thanks! i love this car, i'll keep pics updated as i go, prob have some up this weekend

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
lightemup2 said:
i'm interested in those reproduction seat covers you were talking about.. is there a site for them?..
They are few and far between, only cloth is available and vinyl seats are a VERY rare option.
Looks like the interior you have is surprisingly nice for the age, I would leave it alone and take good care of it since the only A/G body stuff aftermarket is for 85-88 color and pattern wise.

army258

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2009
Jersey Shore
how did you learn mechanics on your own? I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Your car looks sweet by the way.

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
They are few and far between, only cloth is available and vinyl seats are a VERY rare option.
Looks like the interior you have is surprisingly nice for the age, I would leave it alone and take good care of it since the only A/G body stuff aftermarket is for 85-88 color and pattern wise.

i didn't know the vinyl seats were a rare option, thanks for that info! i'm gonna keep the vinyl, i didn't know if there was such thing as vinyl seat covers or not

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
army258 said:
how did you learn mechanics on your own? I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Your car looks sweet by the way.

honestly, i don't know that much about mechanics unlike a lot of the people on this forum, but i do know quite a bit for my age, i'm only 17. and when i was younger i have always been into cars, i always used to watch shows where they restore cars, shows like overhaulen, muscle car, horsepower, two guys garage, shows like that, and just by jumping in and doing it, anyone can send their car out to a mechanic and get it fixed, but having no clue about what your doing and just jumping in and doing it, figuring it out on your own.. makes you feel good, because then you be like yea i did it.. ya know?.. but anyways i learned just by doing it, watching my dad, and other close friends of his, as they used to be into doing this stuff.. you dont really learn something to you jump in and do it yourself :D

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
lightemup2 said:
i didn't know the vinyl seats were a rare option, thanks for that info! i'm gonna keep the vinyl, i didn't know if there was such thing as vinyl seat covers or not
There are vinyl dyes and repair kits available, just do a Google search. They are much easier to repair than cloth.
As for aftermarket vinyl seat covers, they don't exist yet and would probably be big bucks.

army258

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2009
Jersey Shore
Im 17 also, and im tryin to learn about mechanics. Im havin a little trouble because im the only one in my family thats intrested into cars. Anyway, good luck on your car

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
army258 said:
Im 17 also, and im tryin to learn about mechanics. Im havin a little trouble because im the only one in my family thats intrested into cars. Anyway, good luck on your car

its fun, i'm a visual learner, hands on kida guy, so i just jump in and do it.. thanks,.. you got a project car your working on?

army258

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2009
Jersey Shore
not at the moment, im trying to get my hands on an 84 H/O. The car looks like its in good shape and its rather cheap. I just gotta save up some more money haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor