1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Wait, I forgot. Last night the wife has shown interest in the 2006 Boxster I bought too, now she wants me to hustle out the flywheel/clutch job it needs plus a set of tires so she can drive it. Good thing is the clutch parts have been procured, tires add another $1K. Then there's a crunchy passenger window regulator, paint correction, really could use new paint on the quarters, factory radio doesn't work, oil change/plugs/wires..... Sleep will soon be a premium commodity at my house.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m sure you’re in another world from me in terms of builds, but for something that you drive and race, the 7875 is a lot of turbo. 700whp is a breeze with it. Spin it hard and 800 is more than possible. I’ve said on this forum 100 times, after 600 whp no one knows if you are at 600 or 1500 because none of that is useable on the street. The track will be the test (and tuning lol).

Keep mama happy.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I’m sure you’re in another world from me in terms of builds, but for something that you drive and race, the 7875 is a lot of turbo. 700whp is a breeze with it. Spin it hard and 800 is more than possible. I’ve said on this forum 100 times, after 600 whp no one knows if you are at 600 or 1500 because none of that is useable on the street. The track will be the test (and tuning lol).

Keep mama happy.

Goal was an "easy" 700whp, anything after is a bonus. I'd say you are in another world from me, yours is up, running, and breaking stuff already. :ROFLMAO: Getting down to the nitty gritty for parts though. Need to get some measurements for fuel hose and power cables and "hope" that the last of pricey items. Driveshaft too.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Same world , different ways to the same end. Mine started out pretty ugly, but driving. I’ve taken stuff apart and put it back together many times and hopefully, looking better on every iteration of apart and together.

Putting it together pretty and correct on the 1st whack is not me.

Which is better? To each his own, there is a lot to be said about having everything done properly up front, and there is a lot to be said about driving it and improving it as you go.

Again, to each his own.

You’ve inspired me to buy some parts and make some upgrades that I was going to put off - thanks.

Look forward to seeing your car make mince meat of a set of tires.

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I started getting tired of redoing things. When you realize how much time, money, and effort you spent, then you have to do it again, I started going for the gusto and trying to do it right the first time, when I can afford to.. We'll see how it works out.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
FWIW, I enjoy working in the garage, at home. Maybe that's why spending a day swapping a motor doesn't bother me. Swapping the TC in an afternoon isn't a big deal either. There are times that I enjoy working on the car more than driving it lol - I'm sure that's considered a little whacky by some. AFAIC, the garage is like my church.

Boost and motor longevity end at 10 psi, so being able to swing it quickly is not a bad thing either and inevitable because..............................................BOOST IS ADDICTIVE. :sneaky:

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I love working in the garage and working on cars, maybe a little too much. One of my biggest problems is working on buddies cars, mine goes to the side. Who tells his buddy he'll do a frame off on his Camaro when he can't find time to get his own done? :doh: This guy. To be fair the Camaro ran and drove in but needed full paint/body, full Ridetech coilover suspension/4 link, came with all new interior in boxes, all new wiring kit, etc. He also has money to throw at it so we farmed out the paint and body to our guy whereas mine has all been done in my garage so far and at this point I'm considering painting it also, then it is completely done by just me and a buddy in my garage. Of course the Malibu won't get done without the extra side projects, I've managed to use almost no family funds on the entire build other than the original $750 for the car, everything else has been credit card points, buying and selling cars plus parts, and side projects. Of course the broken leg has slowed any type of progress for over a month and a half now.

My current "sad" garage with two cars blown apart Rktpwrd please don't judge my garage harshly :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I love working in the garage and working on cars, maybe a little too much. One of my biggest problems is working on buddies cars, mine goes to the side. Who tells his buddy he'll do a frame off on his Camaro when he can't find time to get his own done? :doh: This guy. To be fair the Camaro ran and drove in but needed full paint/body, full Ridetech coilover suspension/4 link, came with all new interior in boxes, all new wiring kit, etc. He also has money to throw at it so we farmed out the paint and body to our guy whereas mine has all been done in my garage so far and at this point I'm considering painting it also, then it is completely done by just me and a buddy in my garage. Of course the Malibu won't get done without the extra side projects, I've managed to use almost no family funds on the entire build other than the original $750 for the car, everything else has been credit card points, buying and selling cars plus parts, and side projects. Of course the broken leg has slowed any type of progress for over a month and a half now.

My current "sad" garage with two cars blown apart Rktpwrd please don't judge my garage harshly :ROFLMAO:

No judgment here, at least it’s tidy and bright. Oftentimes that’s half the battle. It’s when things get so cluttered you can’t even move, or when sh*t is so dusty and dirty you can’t pick it up without first putting on a pair of gloves that it becomes a major PITA.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wraith has you beat D on the beer fridge ;)

• Haha

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's probably full of Gatorade & water :ROFLMAO: . Wraith, open the fridge and prove somebody right/wrong :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor