1978 MALIBU "PROJECT TUMMY TUCK"

Status
Not open for further replies.
84clonewars said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Dave V said:
Very nice I would say go 323 or 342 it will give you some decent takeoff and not go crazy where u can't drive on the freeway

Sweet! thanks, i think im going with the 323 gears :wink:

Needs a 3 series carrier but if you're just throwing it in your stock 2 series rear a 3.08 is the way to go. I plan to upgrade my crappy 2 series 7.5 to a posi unit and3 series 3.23 gear set.

WORD!!!!! :wink: To tell you the truth i dont know a dayum thing about Posi...lmao...i kinda know whats up, but when it gets into that 2-3 series case stuff i get confused...lol..My Posi guy "Ace Tha Repp" knows all about it, thats all he does..hes at the yard everyday hunting down posi unit and gears..I think he puts a 3 series case in there and spacer for 3.23 or higher?? but i might go with 3.08 if he has them not sure...he mostly has 3.23/3.42/3.73/4.10 gears..Just need something so that i can be cool on da freeway feel me...but good looking on that info...thanks big bro.. :mrgreen:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
WORD!!!!! :wink: To tell you the truth i dont know a dayum thing about Posi...lmao...i kinda know whats up, but when it gets into that 2-3 series case stuff i get confused...lol..My Posi guy "Ace Tha Repp" knows all about it, thats all he does..hes at the yard everyday hunting down posi unit and gears..I think he puts a 3 series case in there and spacer for 3.23 or higher?? but i might go with 3.08 if he has them not sure...he mostly has 3.23/3.42/3.73/4.10 gears..Just need something so that i can be cool on da freeway feel me...but good looking on that info...thanks big bro.. :mrgreen:
its pretty simple... cause the size of the gear does the work for you, in determining which carrier you either have or want to have...

if your factory rear has 2.56 or higher gears (higher meaning lower number gear, like 2.41 and down) then you have a 2 series carrier...

if your factory rear has 2.73 gears and lower (lower meaning higher number gear like 3.08/3.42/etc) then is is a 3 series carrier...

you can get 3 series gears and put them onto a 2 series carriers, but you need to use a ring spacer... you will be fine using this spacer, because you dont have much horsepower, a stick shift or abuse to contend with, but i would rather you use the right carrier and no spacer...

if you need help estimating what size your gearing is, without pulling the unit out the housing, or opening the cover up, etc. let me know and I will do a vid for you to explain it... im pretty sure you have a 2 series carrier in that car, but i could be wrong...

LSCustoms said:
if your factory rear has 2.56 or higher gears (higher meaning lower number gear, like 2.41 and down) then you have a 2 series carrier...

if your factory rear has 2.73 gears and lower (lower meaning higher number gear like 3.08/3.42/etc) then is is a 3 series carrier...

Close but not right. The split between 2 and 3 series carriers is 3.08 and numerically lower for 2 series. Then 3.23 and numerically higher for 3 series.

jrm81bu said:
Close but not right. The split between 2 and 3 series carriers is 3.08 and numerically lower for 2 series. Then 3.23 and numerically higher for 3 series.

That's my understanding as well but I've been wrong before lol

Thanks guys for the posi info, im not even ready for that at the moment.. Need to save my chips. 😢

Holding off on the cut outs and ONCE AGAIN THE BUG BIT ME!! :wtf:

So my dash cap started to get all wavey on me!! :blam:

It was my fault for not preping it correctly and glueing the spot that needed the most glue!!
While it was sitting before color sand and buff the front of the cap started to get all krazy on me with the heat of the sun, so i ordered a dash carpet to see if i would like it and i didnt., just wasent me!!

So yes i got another dash from the same guy that sold me the Malibu "Max" hes a gbody guru!! Has parts on his porch,lawn,driveway,back yard, garage, etc etc.. Sold me an 84 dash complete for $40, ya it has it cracks here and there but its goin to get wrapped by my interior guy "jorge" idk why i did do this in the first place.. Will be dropping off this weekend hopefully and get it wrapped, double stiched, also ordering the dash insert with the chevy logo like i ha in da elko, knowing my interior guy he might wrap it in suede and surprise me.. Lol.. Stay tuned..

908E458A-775E-43F9-A13D-607C6DEB37CD-1201-000000C5382F8CBD.jpg

BF2119CC-5022-4365-881A-459B47B25765-1201-000000C544B31AAE.jpg

jrm81bu said:
LSCustoms said:

Ive been wrong more than once in my life 8) and I believe you are correct, dont know why I remember a 3.08 being 3 series....

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
So yes i got another dash from the same guy that sold me the Malibu "Max" hes a gbody guru!! Has parts on his porch,lawn,driveway,back yard, garage, etc etc.. Sold me an 84 dash complete for $40, ya it has it cracks here and there but its goin to get wrapped by my interior guy "jorge" idk why i did do this in the first place.. Will be dropping off this weekend hopefully and get it wrapped, double stiched, also ordering the dash insert with the chevy logo like i ha in da elko, knowing my interior guy he might wrap it in suede and surprise me.. Lol.. Stay tuned..
Im working on two stock dash boards, putting a motorized ipad mount in one now...

LSCustoms said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Im working on two stock dash boards, putting a motorized ipad mount in one now...

Dayum that would look hella nice....u good at that tho...nice :wink:

Today took the dash to my interior guy, took her a shower and shes supper shiney...will drive for awhile tomorrow, but know my tailights are not turning on, after i washed i wanted to roll around with the HIDS on, i did have a burn 20fuse so i replaced it and they still didnt turn on :wtf: i"ll figure it out later i guess! I did burn up some tires too, just one wheels.. hahaha blow off some steam!! well Tomorrow i will detail the engine bay.. Heres alittle vid

[youtube]tykGptxdPCE[/youtube]

So today took her out for a good 1hr drive.. And drove like a dream, :mrgreen: ... But my dayum radio keep on turing off and on :wtf: just like the elko, had the same problem!!!! Regardless if it were high or low it will shut off..

The dash is out, was pretty easy to remove.. Alot of wires that are going to redone and wrapped the Saints way.. Big elko wareen inspired me to get the wires done right :wink: .. My interior guy is kinda busy with a Dub built and hes kicking *ss with a 80 chevy truck so i should get back in 1-2 wks which is fine, i want to focas on the radio shuttingoff while i have all the wires out.. OH YEA MY BATTERYS DEAD AGAIN!! :wtf: when all done im going to have to get me a real good battery.. They one i have is a rebuilt on from superior batterys where they rebuilt them.. I think my radios killing my battery, well it gives me two weeks to figure it out..

[youtube]Z3ZO1JLq9qM[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor