1979 El Camino Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
no need to polish bro on the tail lights, just clear over them a few times and they will look brand new, thats what we do at the body shop if there all oxidixed.... just make sure you clean them real good first..

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
Lowproelco said:
no need to polish bro on the tail lights, just clear over them a few times and they will look brand new, thats what we do at the body shop if there all oxidixed.... just make sure you clean them real good first..
like sand them down and plastic clear coat or just regular?

GBoDYon4s

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
So,CA.
Yessir i did that to my girl's chrysler wet sanded w/1000grit ,then wet sanded w/2000, buffed them lightly and then plastic
clearcoat they came out like new for under $20.00 works really good bruh...

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
1979ratrod said:
Lowproelco said:
like sand them down and plastic clear coat or just regular?

yea wet sand with 1000 grit to clean them up and we use just regular clear, out of a gun or out of a can. three nice coats will do. and if you want them too look silky smooth, after third coat of clears dries wet sand with 2000 will look like glass, just dont sand too much just till it feels smooth..

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
thnaks guys ill deff have to give it a try. i have so much more to do i proboblt wont get to it for a while. i also have to sand the tint off of one so that should be great

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Cleaning off the oxodized layer of plastic & clearcoating definitely works also. Lights are plastic, urethane clear is basically a plastic too.Decent clearcoats also have uv inhibitors in them.
When I first learned to clean modern l plastic headlights, it didn't take long to figure out they fade again. They now sell protectant for after you clean faded lights. I haven't sprayed any lights yet with automotive clear, but I,d think it would be the way to go. You can also mix a hint of color into the clear if you want to shade lenses a little.

I also still think your lights could look cool with the right choice of mesh grille over them. Saw the concept stingray from the transformers movie up close at a new car show, the mesh made it look more sinister. :idea:

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
jlcustomz said:
Cleaning off the oxodized layer of plastic & clearcoating definitely works also. Lights are plastic, urethane clear is basically a plastic too.Decent clearcoats also have uv inhibitors in them.
When I first learned to clean modern l plastic headlights, it didn't take long to figure out they fade again. They now sell protectant for after you clean faded lights. I haven't sprayed any lights yet with automotive clear, but I,d think it would be the way to go. You can also mix a hint of color into the clear if you want to shade lenses a little.

I also still think your lights could look cool with the right choice of mesh grille over them. Saw the concept stingray from the transformers movie up close at a new car show, the mesh made it look more sinister. :idea:
ok cool ill deff check that stuff out. and about the lights you are referring to my taillights? can you post a pic of what you are talking about. i think i like the idea they are kind of plain the way they are

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
jlcustomz said:
I was referring to taillights, just googled the corvette concept stingray images.http://www.seriouswheels.com/2009/bc/20 ... 24x768.htm. You might want to check out other pics of it, pictures don't really do it justice. Concept cars get all the cool off one sh*t like I make, factory models get plastic parts. :wtf:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site ... X4#imgrc=_
i actually really like that. ill do some mock up with thick mesh and see if i like it. thanks for the idea man

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
so just like 1 update i got a nasty new deck. so i had to make a plate for it and then a cage and then mount tat to the dash and i got that all done today. ill take some pics of it installed soon
20130324_152540_zps966ee4fa.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor