1979 Malibu 6.0 T56 Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Smith

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
North Carolina
Here’s a few pics of the t56

I ended up cutting more than I needed to to get the transmission in. I had read lots of threads about putting a t56 into a gbody and some have said nothing more is required than a hole for the shifter(that was said about a regular T56 not a t56magnum) . Heard from other people you have to cut a huge hole. I went in only wanting to cut out as much as I needed, but when I was fighting the motor mounts the first time setting the motor and trans in I kept wanting to jack the trans up to see if that would help and cut more than I needed. Honestly after getting new motor mounts and bolting the drivetrain in, I feel just a hole for the shifter will suffice for aT56 Magnum in the Gbody tunnel. It’s pretty tight though.

B8D64C0D-65A1-49E2-9065-A07EF30B42D3.jpeg

DC30CFB4-47FB-4BD9-B6C7-57AEDF4CE79A.jpeg

3EE7FC0B-FC64-465B-AD65-AC76016EAB77.jpeg

I’m gonna cut a little more so the trans has more room and build a proper patch here soon. Pretty much all the pictures I have of the trans right now. I’m hoping to go down this weekend and maybe put the drivetrain back in to take some more photos of that trans in there for those of y’all that were asking and work on the patch.

Reactions: 3 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I was looking at the tunnel patch kit Holley has for the T56 Magnum.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Here are where my mounts are at. I used a g-force cross member for a t56 and the motor and trans fit the chassis well. Body has yet to be set on since install so I can’t speak to clearance.
EB7D1B3A-9EE2-4D63-A4E8-5EC6F83FBFE7.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Grant Smith

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
North Carolina
I hate to say it, but if you don’t want to change motor/trans mounts, you can loosen the body bolts and slide the tub back a little.
That’s what I’ve been thinking and I actually need to replace the body mounts bad, but I’ve held off for fear of some bolts breaking or having to do frame repair right now because I don’t have the room. I’m also about to be out of a garage since my old man is moving in 1-2 months and won’t have his shop built at his new place until the fall. He told me he’s building a 30x40 with a lift so it just makes sense to hold off on body mounts right now

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
hmm that might be true.this has always been the normal set up,i'm sure someone will chime in on this one,there's a few ls swapped rides on here..
1588869426428.png
1588869441877.png

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, you're saying Holley designed a kit that hundreds of other people have installed that didn't hit the firewall, and yours is a special case? Go on........:popcorn:

• Haha

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here’s a few pics of the t56

I ended up cutting more than I needed to to get the transmission in. I had read lots of threads about putting a t56 into a gbody and some have said nothing more is required than a hole for the shifter(that was said about a regular T56 not a t56magnum) . Heard from other people you have to cut a huge hole. I went in only wanting to cut out as much as I needed, but when I was fighting the motor mounts the first time setting the motor and trans in I kept wanting to jack the trans up to see if that would help and cut more than I needed. Honestly after getting new motor mounts and bolting the drivetrain in, I feel just a hole for the shifter will suffice for aT56 Magnum in the Gbody tunnel. It’s pretty tight though.

View attachment 145324
View attachment 145325
View attachment 145326
I’m gonna cut a little more so the trans has more room and build a proper patch here soon. Pretty much all the pictures I have of the trans right now. I’m hoping to go down this weekend and maybe put the drivetrain back in to take some more photos of that trans in there for those of y’all that were asking and work on the patch.
I would say you haven't changed body mounts yet, so when/if you do you'll get some clearance as the orignals are fairly worn out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor