1979 malibu drip rail chrome removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlboo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2011
hey im have a small issue getting the drip rail chrome off of the 79 malibu on the drivers side dont have the right tools i guess does anyone have any suggestions on how is the easiest way to get it to come off any help would be appreciated

thanks Rick

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
There usually just held on by adhesive. Should be able to just pull them off

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've encountered a problem pulling my drip rail mouldings. Infact, I broke one side trying to get it off. I have noticed that they were stuck on with double sided trim tape.
I had pulled a set at the junkyard when there happened to be a wagon present. They came right off in my hands with a just a gentle twisting motion.
The ones on my car were a bear. I made a makeshift tool using a flat piece of metal bent in a loop with a narrowed edge that caught underneath the moulding. You then were able to pry upwards and it helped twist the moulding off. However, it had to be done a section at a time, or else you can easily destroy them. I learned the hard way first time around.
They are very soft metal, so caution is advised.

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
Church key (okay Im old) old fashined little can bottle opener works well :lol:

littlboo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2011
thanks for the input i will try and see if i can get it off just need one for my new project it doesnt have one on it

Thanks Rick

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
gpguy said:
Church key (okay Im old) old fashioned little can bottle opener works well :lol:
=========================================================================================================
:lol: It's funny that you mentioned a "church key". My buddy also suggested using one to remove the drip rail mouldings.
Placing a piece of tape on the part or tab that would come in contact with the moulding itself.
Nowadays, most younger guys probably haven't heard of a church key, or know what it is. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor