1980 Buick Century Estate Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
It's also worth noting that at 10.5:1 compression, 87 octane is still (technically) viable, though I would probably use at least 91 or 93 depending on what's available at the pump. The LT1 I mentioned before is 10.5:1 compression and I've run it a few times on 87 with no problems, I just notice I get better mileage out of 93 Octane, and the owners manual calls for 91. Probably better for the motor too, though that's not something immediately noticeable unless there's engine knock from it.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Buford T. JuSStice said:
...but bigger brakes, better suspension, and frame strengthening will be part of the plan.

Frame strengthening for a street car is totally unnecessary.
Brake and suspension upgrades are nice additions if you're into that kind of thing, but the car will handle the 455 just fine without them...

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Blake442 said:
Buford T. JuSStice said:
...but bigger brakes, better suspension, and frame strengthening will be part of the plan.

Frame strengthening for a street car is totally unnecessary.
Brake and suspension upgrades are nice additions if you're into that kind of thing, but the car will handle the 455 just fine without them...
You're right, but I want the car to be as driveable and safe as possible. Bigger brakes are a good thing to have when your car is suddenly putting out 3-4 times more power than it was when it was factory stock, and better suspension will help maintain control of the car as well.

Frame strengthening would probably do the same as the suspension, so maybe I wouldn't need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor