1980 El Camino Cowl Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
i just bought a 1980 el camino the previous owner said it was a SS with a V6 its gotta 350 in it now but i was wondering if anyone knows where the Cowl Tag is located on the El Camino its suppose to tell if its a true SS.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If the SS was a distinct model (vs just an option) the VIN will show the code for SS, but I'm a Pontiac guy, can't help much.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
I have an 80 SS El Camino with a steel cowl hood. The Vin on El Camino's generally do not tell you if it's an SS. Just the motor, where it was built ect.. On my 80, the tag (I forgot the actual name) is located just below the drivers side front windshield. You have to open the hood to see it. That tells you what color it came from the factor, what options, what type of interior and what color and whether or not it's an SS. There should be a "Z" in one of those numbers somewhere but I dont have my notes on me to tell you exactly where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor