1980 El Camino SS 4-speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OK, so another car popped up local on my radar... I'm out of town for a few days and if its still there when I get back it just might be going home with me. Sign says its a 1980 SS, looks to have the correct decals/paint, front spoiler... but here's the real kicker. It looks like it might be a factory 4-speed car. The shifter is in the right place on the floor, but it looks shorter than my Hurst, like its a replacement or something... Were the Chevy's different in that respect? Different mfr on the shifter maybe?

Few questions: Is the SS trim package verifiable in some way from the VIN or body tag? How about the manual? The bed has been rhino-lined at some point, which concerns me. Never know what's going to be hiding under that. Any way to check that its not rotten underneath? Where are the problem spots for rust on the El Camino? With the liner there's no way to check the bed, and its covered all the way to the window, which I know is the big one....

I don't know anything more about it. Like I said if its gone when I get back it wasn't meant to be. If its still there I will have to really think about this one. I'm not even going to call about it until then(!)

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Decals look right but repops are out there. Stick shift doesn't look right to me....too straight I believe. Nothing on the cowl tag indicated my 79 was an SS...I had to go through GM with my vin. Dash should have an SS badge like below...used until 1980. B pillar trim on the outside should be black.

xPdxT7.jpg

hard to find item and not readily available. You could pull the cargo cover carpet and check the back wall under the window for water trails. While in there check the cargo floor for rusting. I think you probably know all the other Gbody rust spots...El Camino follows suite. Car looks decent from the pics...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
I'd say GRAB IT chiefarino!!! No worries on the " I wonder what's lies underneath there's" I have 2 rust free Elcos in the gbody "timeout" section;) I also have 5 -4 speed muncies for the "gear factor"

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
yeah if its there when I get back I'm going to have to figure out where to put it lol

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
Factory shifter should be an "ITM" (looks like a hurst with out the positive stop bolts) I even used a hurst rebuild kit what I did mine, chrome handle that curves back and tapers towards the drivers seat, looks like the right place for Saginaw Trans. I sold in the fall a complete bellhousing/z bar/trans/shifter/steering column/dash cluster/pedals for $700

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have one of those "ITM" shifters if you end up buying the car and want to put it back stock. It would need rebuilt. I think it is a sloppy piece of junk. I replaced it with a Hurst Competition Plus which was a monumental upgrade. When I put the car back together I'm going in with a T5 so I don't need any of the Saginaw stuff.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
To me the Elco SS's always appeared like sort of an unofficial "dealer" package car. Sort of like when you would see brand new '04 Silverado "SS" that had bigger wheels and decals that looked factory but wasn't a true package in the traditional sense.

EDIT: Oh but yeah but it. Really cool car. I'd buy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor