1980 GP. Numbers made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcrusep86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2010
My car is a 80 GP SJ with the 170 hp HO 4bbl 301 engine,Keystone Klassic wheels,Rear sway bar,T-Tops and the F41 suspension. I bought this car on mothers day this year for 800 bucks, it has 120,00 miles on it,sucks gas and runs great..I Need a few interior pieces,outside trim and a lil surface rust taken care of for it to be perfect but its a great driver and i was wondering how rare it is because i know not all of them in 1980 had the 170 HP engine and sway bar.Thanks

Picture006-5.jpg

Picture005-5.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

7,087 SJ models were built for the 1980 model. no idea among those that got the 170 HP version of the 301 but i'm guessing very few. still a boat anchor. sorry but i hate the 301. it's worse than the buick V6 IMO.

All 1980 Grand Prix SJ's got the W72 code 170 HP 301 4BBL V8 and 2.93:1 rear gears unless yours was a California car in which case it would have a Chevy 305 with 2.73:1 rear gears. The 1980 Grand Am and Trans Am also got this same engine as std fare. I used to own a 1980 SJ GP. It was considerably faster than any other 301 powered car I have driven and would routinely spank many a 305 equipped cars so lets give it a little respect for it's time. It was certainly a hell of a lot better than what came a year later in the Grand Prix line which was a weak 120 HP 4.3 265 Pontiac V8 as the top engine in this car for 1981!

The Grill is a bit different from my 80 that I have, the lines in the grill are more of a grid, where as mine has the grill lines straight up and down, and the one's on mine seem a bit more spaced? Were there different grill options between the LJ and SJ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor