1980 Malibu check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze coupe!

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2018
Hey there I’m looking for some help I’m looking to getting into a g body it is a 1980 Malibu 305 all original a neighbor of mine is selling everything seems fine except the check engine light is on and i can’t figure it out. I would like to make sure everything is ok before buying it. I can’t find a diagnostic port under the dash like say a 81 and later model to jump the pin is there any way of pulling a code on a 1980? Thank you

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Hey there I’m looking for some help I’m looking to getting into a g body it is a 1980 Malibu 305 all original a neighbor of mine is selling everything seems fine except the check engine light is on and i can’t figure it out. I would like to make sure everything is ok before buying it. I can’t find a diagnostic port under the dash like say a 81 and later model to jump the pin is there any way of pulling a code on a 1980? Thank you
I might be wrong but I don't believe they had any kind of computer control on those cars in 80. It is most likely the oil pressure sender claiming low oil pressure.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The later 80 1/2 did have CCOT so there is an ALDL under the dash on the drivers side. I would look first at carb and see if it has wiring to it. The ALDL will probably be under radio on left side or over your left knee when in drivers seat. I wouldn't be real concerned about it depending on what you plan to do with the car as this one has limited fuel and timing control

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Some 1980 model year cars had the "C4" computer system installed

The Malibu was an "A" series car in 1980, but is today referred to as part of the G body family.

Here are a couple pertinent pages from the 1980 shop manual (which I highly recommend buying if you keep the OE systems on the car)

You will probably (depending on monitor size and eyesight quality) want to use the "open in original location" arrow after opening the pic of the ECM layout. Note that codes will be flashed on the CEL after grounding the GREEN connector which originates from terminal D at the ECM harness

SAM_1779.JPG SAM_1780.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Some 1980 model year cars had the "C4" computer system installed

The Malibu was an "A" series car in 1980, but is today referred to as part of the G body family.

Here are a couple pertinent pages from the 1980 shop manual (which I highly recommend buying if you keep the OE systems on the car)

You will probably (depending on monitor size and eyesight quality) want to use the "open in original location" arrow after opening the pic of the ECM layout. Note that codes will be flashed on the CEL after grounding the GREEN connector which originates from terminal D at the ECM harness

View attachment 86424 View attachment 86425

I forgot about the green connector
You are correct
hey...it's been a long time?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Wasn't pre '81 computer cars California cars outside of 231 powered cars?

I believe that's correct, but it isn't specified in the manual. It does indicate that the system was used on all engine variants

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor