1980 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelsaunders2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2022
Andy Constantine has the numbers from GM Heritage. There were 6,836 Malibus with the MM3 3 speed in 1980. They do not differential between body styles or between base Malibu and Malibu Classic.
GM Heritage only has numbers for the Chevrolets. They are not able to provide numbers for any of the other 78-81 A bodies.
Ok thanks

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Believe the second poster was trying to say if the car in question was Built in CANADA then original documentation could be acquired from GM Canada. Meaning most likely, built at the Oshawa Ontario plant. US records were lost in a fire or destroyed.
There was never any documented fire causing a loss of GM documentation. GM still has most of it. The problem is getting access to it. I have been doing document research for other Chevrolet models for a very long time.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I was told they where only 68 of them
of them built I just trying to figure out what the car is worth it’s in real good condition original paint no rust original interior dash is cracked got one ordered all paperwork from carriage, Chevrolet Newton, North Carolina, which is now Earnhardt Chevrolet
Value is what someone is willing to pay. Being a V6 3 speed puts it into a less than ideal desirability category. For reference, Chad Dickey on the FB group recently sold his low mileage documented with paper work 79 factory 4 speed for $16,600. There is another low mileage 79 4 speed on Ebay right now with no bids at $17,500

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
What would you think the car would be worth paint still car has always been in a garage other than driving back fourth
To work very low mileage
There was a blue on black 79 base Malibu 3 speed that was basically a like a brand new car that sold for $25k.
I believe the mileage was under 20k. Again, it was like buying a brand new car and someone thought it was worth that. It was also a very attractive color combo which would be easier to sell than a green one or a brown or tan.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Some very good and dead-on descriptions here by fellow G body members on what "value" actually means. Sometimes the things you think are valuable are not, and vice versa. It's like an auction, it only takes that one bidder to make or break an auction. Sometimes it only takes that one person who will pay that BIG asking price for your car, perhaps it was identical to their first car, or its what their dad had when they were a kid ect ect, the reasons are endless.

I've been into G bodies my entire life, and a few years back, prior to any hint of a boom on their values, AND against the common senses among this group, I had stated that there will be a time to come soon, when our beloved G body cars will be pulling big coin, three times or more from original sticker price, fast forward to 2022, and that time has come for prime and unmolested examples. I was laughed at the time, but not so much now. It's nice to see because it effects ALL the G bodies in some way shape or form and anyone that owns one, their investment has increased.

Take the Buick GN, few and far between compared to other G bodies produced, and with the asking prices, and ACTUAL selling prices, many people can't get or afford one. So, what do they do, they seek out a Buick Regal and doll it up to look like a GN, so therefore the value of the plain Jayne Regal starts creeping up as well because the market is there for it and guess what, this has happened and IS happening.

The market and value on any item, car, real estate etc. from history and rule of thumb, increases over time. There are many factors that play into value, inclusive of individuals and the exact thing they want or are looking for, if you have what they want, a Malibu with a v6 3 speed low milage car, and if they want it bad enough, they will pay your asking price, because to tell you the truth, it's not every day you come across such a combination, nor fine example as yours. I tend to believe individuals who dispute the prices our cars are selling for, yet will go out without hesitation and buy a pile of plastic for $35K+, that falls apart in 5 years and is worth nothing, are shy a few head bolts to be honest.

Reactions: 1 users

Ibe555666

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
Florida
I have a 1980 Malibu factory V8 with 4 speed, Canada documented , 1 of 124 made that I will be selling at Mecum Kissimmeee in January. Loaded up , black with red interior. Please share with anyone you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor