1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
online170 said:
motorheadmike said:
In other news... these are done - just waiting for the paint to dry.

Thats really cool! My car has no bracing at all, none! And its making a good bit of torque. I was thinking about boxing a separate frame or something but the entire idea is exhausting to even think about. This is a much nicer deal.

So did you have to weld anything to the frame? Or do the smaller pieces act as a "washer" on the back side?

That is pretty much it. The nuts/plates are laid inside the frame rails and when the bolts are tightened (currently 150ft/lbs lubricated) the bottom of the frame is drawn down, and the SFC up, preloading the flexible unboxed section of the frame.

When I get the suspension back under the car I will be able to confirm if the SFCs have done their job when jacking the front or rear corner, and have the opposite end of the frame/tire rise up - the same way it would if the frame were fully boxed.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I dont see why not. Plus that Gforce member will do quite a bit in my mind to tie the two sides together. Maybe you should patent this idea. Many more chassis that it applies to!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Nah. Hotrodding should be open-source - I hope someone improves on the design.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
that's pretty cool ! Hows the eye ?? Cant be fun having somebody digging stuff out. I have come close myself and now ( reluctantly ) wear goggles

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
axisg said:
that's pretty cool ! Hows the eye ?? Cant be fun having somebody digging stuff out. I have come close myself and now ( reluctantly ) wear goggles

Eye is healed, wore contacts for the first time in weeks today - so that is a plus. It is aweful when even your assumed protection is circumvented by 10,000rpm of spinning fury.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
motorheadmike said:
axisg said:

Eye is healed, wore contacts for the first time in weeks today - so that is a plus. It is aweful when even your assumed protection is circumvented by 10,000rpm of spinning fury.

don't I know it ( and have the 6" scar to prove it ) !! Be careful

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
ssbrewskyaz said:
Hey Mike,

I don't recall; Is this a driver car or race car? Maybe the answer is Yes. Just curious. ...

Scott. ...

Family car. ;)

I am building this as a 3 season driver for tooling around with the family, going to cruise nights, going camping, hitting the drags (still not sure if it will get setup for autocross); and yes we are even considering using it for Drag Week next year... and I can only guess how it will snowball from there.

I may be turning this into a turbo'd build... for reasons I can't yet say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor