1981 Buick Regal -Starts but majorly misfiring-

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I kinda hate giving advice anymore because there are few that really take it and then there are those you don't hear from again (must of fixed it) Just listening to the engine you can determine if you have a dead cylinder or you have mis-firing. Members answered right off the bat w/ firing order and compression check - this would give much needed guidance and direction.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

drew_5150

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
I kinda hate giving advice anymore because there are few that really take it and then there are those you don't hear from again (must of fixed it) Just listening to the engine you can determine if you have a dead cylinder or you have mis-firing. Members answered right of the bat w/ firing order and compression check - this would give much needed guidance and direction.

I'm still here lol
I work too..
Thankyou for your decision to comment its much appreciated..

Reactions: 1 user

drew_5150

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2020
Does it pop thru the carb when you have it in park and rev it up?
Can you isolate a particular cylinder that is not firing>
Disable the ignition and spin the engine over while listening to the speed of the engine turning over. Is it consistant or does it speed up at times. If it speeds up a compression test is next
A compressor test does not always tell the whole story. You could have a broken valve spring or a worn cam.

Yes it pops and spits gas out the carb. I'm going to do a compression test today.

Reactions: 1 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
My 1981 Regal 3.8L was stolen from me in 2005, 15 year's later (November) I found it and brought it home. At first when I tried to start it it was plopping in misfiring and I thought it was due to bad gas and/or a dirty carburetor so we rebuilt the carburetor and got it bolted back on yesterday. Still having the same symptoms so I went to the parts store and bought a new cap, rotor, spark plugs and its still missing, now I'm waiting on spark plug wires (they had to be ordered in). I'm writing this to ask if anyone else has dealt with Something simular minus the car being stolen at one point.. lol
Any common issues I might be overlooking?
Anyone have a good vacuum diagram for that year?
Any help is much appreciated! View attachment 141163
All advice so far are things you should do. They will eliminate most of the issues that might be causing this. There is one other thing you might check. It goes along with what ck80 said. If the distributor was pulled and put back in, one tooth off it would make the car misfire and stumble very badly (maybe start but not keep running). Check how far the distributor is twisted in the hole. If it is all the way to one side or the other, it is a good sign that the distributor is off by a tooth. When installed off by a tooth, they will sometimes hit and stumble when either retarded a or advanced all the way. I for one would love to hear the story. Especially if the low life who stole it ends up in the hospital or jail.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Yes it pops and spits gas out the carb. I'm going to do a compression test today.
If the compression is good pin point a cylinder that is not firing, remove the valve cover and look for a broken valve spring or the lift of the cam not being like the exhaust ones. Should be an exhaust valve issue

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Are these common problems? I thought those things were almost bulletproof. Anemic, but bulletproof. Hooptiewagon's in the Skyhawk runs fine; it just uses a quart of oil every 100 miles.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Does it happen to have that first generation computer?? that was supposed to govern advance/retard to the distributor and was plugged into a sensor on the carb for throttle location? It is not really a computer in the true sense of the word, more like a solid state governor of some kind. The power wire for it is attached to the battery stud on the starter solenoid. Could be old age and corrosion have crippled it. They did come in aluminum cases which were prone to corrode given their location--behind the passengers kick panel ahead of the front door.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Are these common problems? I thought those things were almost bulletproof. Anemic, but bulletproof. Hooptiewagon's in the Skyhawk runs fine; it just uses a quart of oil every 100 miles.

Uncommon for sure
I am not there listening to it and that leads to a disconnect for sure. The old adage is garbage in and garbage out. Tough to diagnose without being there sometimes

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Look at the bright side... we've made it a few days without the usual "just ls swap it" or "put a buick 350 in, it's a direct drop in" comments a couple members are known for.
pssst

hey

op

350 buick swap it
regalengine.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor